Options

Reverse implementation best practices?

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
A normal implementation is where you have a company with established processes and implement NAV for it. A reverse implementation is founding a new subsidiary: you already have NAV, so the new company will use it too, but they do not exist yet, no processes, no employees hired etc. how do you do an implementation in that stage?

I mean, imagine a very typical case, a sales office type subsidiary, selling in a foreign country. The starting "kit" is one person doing order processing the other doing accounting. You cannot just have them sit there and pay a salary for no work, so you have to do the implementation before you hire them. And you can assume there are no processes as such, simply you have to do the basic legal and minimal business requirements, the order processor must be able to issue invoices, book in receipts, check stock, the accountant book in purchase invoices and payments, make a balance sheet etc. but you have not hired them yet.

How do you deal with such a situation?

I did one such project that did not work too well. I started from the assumption that the most important thing you need to get right is taxes, VAT, because that carries the biggest fines. But my local NAV partner was unwilling to give me a standard typical VAT setup for that country, saying they can set up anything but we must say what, and my local tax advisor / auditor could give only the expected result but not the details. And I had no local accountant yet who would connect the two. I was pretty much pulling my hair out. I just wanted a basic locally acceptable setup so that when we hire an order processor and he starts firing invoices they are not wrong. ##

Similarly I needed a basic Chart of Accounts just to be able to get started posting invoices. Ask local NAV partner. They say everybody has a different one again our accountant has to tell them what we want. Aaargh we have no accountant yet. OK whatever, I googled around and found a local government approved Chart of Accounts. Imported. Made basic settings. Hired accountant. Turned out it was the wrong CoA that did not reflect recent legal changes, but of course he found that only after many postings were done so we could not just delete and import the other one. Aaargh.

In short it seems very hard to do a subsidiary implementation BEFORE local staff is hired. My question is, is this how you see it, basically just tell the management yes we have to pay people in the new subsidiary for a month or two without doing any sales while we do the implementation? Or find a better local partner who has a good basic preconfigured starter package? (Microsoft's isn't, I saw in the recent German VAT Setup there was not even EU Service set up separately.)

Answers

• Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    there are organizations that specialize in finding trusted local partners for you. The one I know is Pipol (originally Partner Power). Have you tried going through someone like them?
  • Options
    Hi David

No, I find most partners have a too rigid thinking it is like "let me analyze the requirements and processes" when not even a company exists yet, so no processes. And similarly they don't really understand the concept of really small subsidiaries that have no processes as such as they are just local invoicing centers basically created because of legal or customer requirements require a local invoice and tax registration to sell in that country, but it is just 1 guy shooting out invoices in the simplest possible way and another doing the legally required accounting the simplest possible way.
  • Options
    HannesHolstHannesHolst Member Posts: 119
    Hi Miklos_Hollender,

NAV reflects the business only, it doesn't dictate how the business should be.
    You should find a partner which goes through the setup with you and then you define the details of your business.

Cheers,
  • Options
    Two years later. Neither of the answers were useful here. Basically the answer is when you open a new subsidiary in a foreign country, first you need to find an accounting services provider company, ideally one that already knows NAV, and a local NAV partner. Ideally the NAV partner will find an accounting services provider company. And they together basically make a locally regulatory compliant setup for a generic buy-and-sell-stuff business case. Solve the documents somehow, such as translating customized ones from the parent company and asking them if any other information is required on invoices. From that point on you can start hiring, not yet having any processes for operations is just fine, set up a location, enter the customers and items and your order processor can start issuing delivery notes, sending them in PDF to the warehouse and to the customer the invoice. It can grow out from that. And the newly hired accountant can work as well.

So the answer is that when opening a subsidiary in a foreign country, a local accounting services provider company with local NAV partners and someone from the headoffice who understands both NAV and the business can make a basic setup with which newly hired employees can work with from the get go. The key thing is compatibility of minds - an accounting services company who thinks 100% SAP does not talk well to a NAV partner.