business central aka NAV 13 technical upgrade from NAV 8 error message table nav app setting

taith69taith69 Member Posts: 6
i'm trying to do a technical upgrade from a NAV 2015 database in Business Central aka NAV 13 but i get an error message
"you do not have permission to read NAV app setting table"

Anyone have a solution?

Answers

• ftorneroftornero Member Posts: 522
    You need to refresh your developper license.

Regardds.
  • TPReggieTPReggie Member Posts: 29
    edited 2018-10-10
    ftornero wrote: »
    You need to refresh your developper license.

Regardds.

Not 100% sure what you mean by this - I am getting the same error and have tried your suggestion. I have generated a new developer license on Partner Source, it states date created as 10/10/2018 - but this is making no difference to me, I still get the error.

Not sure if I am doing anything wrong? Surely I dont have to reopen the database in the September build of NAV 2018 and import the new license into the database that way to get this to work? If so I am in a pickle as I will have to re-install that to do so.

Also - I could not find any license version available on Partnersource that was for Business Central On Premise - NAV 2018 was the latest available to me, when looking at the new developer license from today with the one I have been using since June they look identical.

So apologies, maybe I am being thick - but I am a little confused. Any additional guidance would be much appreciated.
    Hello,

I had a similar problem some time ago and opened an issue in Github

https://github.com/Microsoft/AL/issues/3612

With the new license the problem was solved.

What do you do with the new license ?
  • TPReggieTPReggie Member Posts: 29
    edited 2018-10-10
    Hi ftornero, I have downloaded a new NAV 2018 license from Partnersource and have tried to open the development environment, change the license to the new one and then open my NAV 2018 database that needs upgrading to work with BC but this does not work.

I know my demo NAV 2018 database has a license in it, which I am wondering if this is the reason why this won't work.
    I can re install the NAV 2018 September update, reopen my demo database and save the new license in it to see if that would work, but ideally I would like to know how others have done it to minimise the amount of time I waste on trying to get it working. This is my demo database and I need to give a demo on Friday in BC with functionality that only my demo database is configured for :)

What did you do to get yours working?
    I just did a technical upgrade from NAV 2018 to BC and everything works after deleting the records from tha table "NAV App" and "NAV Instalaled App" and recompling the table 5330 (CRM Connection Setup) due to some changes on DotNet variables.

Regards
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    @ftornero did you have to assign users to your license? How it is done?
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
    Hello Slawek,

Sorry, but I don't know what do you mean by assign users to the license ?

Regards.
    edited 2018-10-11
    Hi, @ftornero, I've read that Microsoft announced that there is going to be a shift in BC licensing model. Connection based licenses are passe, and new named user based licenscing have need announced.

Didn't have an opportunity to play with BC on prem yet, and I wondered how technical upgrade and upgraded license works in practice, if there are any extra steps required to link/grant particular accounts access to BC - apart from usual things through defining users and their permissions.

Also - are you able to define more user accounts than number of users included in your license? If no maybe you have tested how the system reacts during technical upgrade if you have more users defined in NAV than license allowance prior the upgrade

Slawek Guzek
    Ok, I did the technical upgrade to test that with our updated partner license the issue reported by @taith69 doesn't happens.

Actually we don't have any license upgraded to BC yet, I expect to have one on Monday for one of our customers and then I'll do the test.

But I think that must work like the current subscription license that is for named user too.

If you have more users created than the allowed for the license, at login, you get a warnning saying that, but you can go on without any other issue.

Regards,
    Thank you!
    Slawek Guzek
    You are welcome.