Compile report again and again?

Hi,

My customer tells me that my former colleague has told him to compile a specific "processing only" report i NAV 2009.

The story is that sometimes a function in a form doesn't work and there is no error messages. That problem would be fixed if the customer finds the report in the Object Designer and compile it.

Can this really be true?

Best Answer

• MortenSteengaardMortenSteengaard Member Posts: 130
    Answer ✓
    Hi everybody.

Thank you very much for your reply!

The problem was that the same report was used with a user-made filter running on many objects, and the report was also used on a single object in another form. The problem was that when I first run on many objects with a specific filter, that filter is saved and used when I run the same report from the form with the single object. And then it acts very weird.

And when I then compile the report, NAV deletes the old user-made filter on that report. And that makes the report change behaviour, so it works correctly on the form with only one object.

Once again, thank you very much!

Answers

• vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,116
    Well, be a scientist and test the hypothesis.

This certainly is no common behavior.

If the misbehaving function is external (i.e. is located in an external assembly or is a COM automation object), make sure the behavior of that external function does not change.

Compiling an object invalidates the cached version. So, corruption of that cache might be a possible cause. Check your memory, disk, network for intermittent errors.
  • aceXaceX Member Posts: 165
    It's true, the compile could help. But as an advice, you need to find out which change causing need for compiling on the report. Does that report using some external functions from some Codeunit or maybe the problem is something else.

Best Regards
  • MortenSteengaardMortenSteengaard Member Posts: 130
    Answer ✓
    Hi everybody.

Thank you very much for your reply!

The problem was that the same report was used with a user-made filter running on many objects, and the report was also used on a single object in another form. The problem was that when I first run on many objects with a specific filter, that filter is saved and used when I run the same report from the form with the single object. And then it acts very weird.

And when I then compile the report, NAV deletes the old user-made filter on that report. And that makes the report change behaviour, so it works correctly on the form with only one object.

Once again, thank you very much!