How do you like the BC's Named User licensing model?

Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
So now instead of having a single access/connection license for, say, a warehouse position working in a 3 shifts scheme you would need 3 licenses, even if they will be never used at the same time.

Temporary staff in your warehouse? Why not, it is just you can't just give them a temp login and let them use one of the temporarily available licenses (say sales staff works day shifts and the temp warehouse employees work evening and night shifts)
Slawek Guzek
Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Just Fire them at the end of the shift and hire them again on the next shift. Problem solved.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    I often have a shared user for multiple computers, like “warehouse”, as they don’t have personal permissions or email.
    So how to handle that. It just got cheaper or ... 😉
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Such a practice is clearly not a problem when license counts concurrent access/connections, as then it does not matter who is logged in. With named user licensing model it could be considered a 'license multiplexing' and forbidden. Don't know for sure, I didn't read the new license agreement but suspect that it could be the case.

Also with named licenses it might be a problem logging in simultaneously on several devices with one user name.

Testing workflows/approvals I am sometimes using 3 different user accounts. Paying for each one separately, effectively 3 times for the same user, goes a little against the grain with me,

Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
    One user can log in several times in current BC, but then there is the fine print.
    But what is a user. I got 20 packers sharing 3 computers at a customer. Thats 3 licenses not 20 I my book.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    One thing Microsoft does not realize yet is the extent to which business processes are outsourced these days. I increasingly often give access to external accounting companies to book in our NAV. We can't always find an accountant employee when we open an office in a new country, nor is the transaction volume so high that it would justify a full time employee.

The second thing Microsoft does not realize is that Juhl's users like WAREHOUSE1 WAREHOUSE2 are better for GDPR. The easiest way to deal with personal data, and an identifiable USER ID in a transaction counts as one, is to not store them to begin with. I don't know if GDPR had that intention, but this IMHO what sane folks are now doing. Suppose you return a product to a store you bought it in, and in turn the store returns it to me, the distributor, wholesaler. Well, I don't want the store to give me your name or phone number at all. Let them deal with the potential GDPR requests, I don't want to. Just give me a case number or something of that sort.
    edited 2018-10-17
    The license does include a free External Accounting licensen. So that helps a little.
    But i also include 1 partner license… But i got a current project where we are 3 external users ??? What then ;-)
  • Inga_SimplanovaInga_Simplanova Member Posts: 21
    We have made the clear pricing and all other information about the BC here