Switching from NAV to AX as a consultant/developer?

AKAK Member Posts: 226
Hi,

I've got more than 20 years of experience as a consultant, developer, project manager, trainer, etc. with NAV. I worked for MS partners as well as for end users and I've been a freelancer for some short time also. So I know the product and the business pretty well.
Now I got the offer to work for an end user which uses AX 2012. I've no experience with AX and know basically nothing about it besides it's meant for bigger companies and it is quite different from NAV in almost any way.
At his point I don't know what the company expects me to do with AX after the ~6 month training period, we still have to discuss this.

The new job interests me because I like to learn new things, also salaries seem to be a lot higher in the AX world.

But I wonder if the switch is feasible? What is your opinion?

Comments

• CyberghostCyberghost Member Posts: 46
    You might be better off asking this in an AX forum :-)

Anybody who's successfully made the change probably doesn't read NAV forums anymore...

Good luck in the future!
    "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes

"God and developers are in a constant battle. Developments to make their applications more idiot-proof, and God to produce bigger idiots!"
  • AKAK Member Posts: 226
    Since we have an AX subforum, I thought there were some people like that present. But I guess you're right, there are not that many AX people here.
  • RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    As you have 20 Years of experience you can easily work from Functional and Business aspects but technically its different so you have to learn!!

I guess initial days would be a bit painful but late on you will enjoy if you are highly inquisitive!!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    BlackTiger wrote: »
    NAV is much better than AX.

I wonder if AX-people would say the contrary...

But I do agree with your statement. But again, we might both be a little biased...
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• AKAK Member Posts: 226
    I'm biased too, that's why I'm so unsure if I should throw away 20+ years of experience and start from scratch.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    I had the same problem in the past: throwing away 3 years of experience with Progress for Navision. Talking about 1999...
    Haven't regretted it! But that was for moving TO BC NAV Navision.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!