How to count distinct records in a table?

Hi All,
I have a table with "Table Name,Employee No.,Line No." as keys. You can enter the same employee no. more than once in this table. Now i want to count the employee numbers in this table onces. for example, If i have 1222, 1222, 1222, 1333, 1333, 1444 employees numbers recorded in the table, i want to count 1222 as one record, 1333 as one and 1444 as one. So i should have a total of 3 records. Also, i want to do this counting withing a specified date range. Say i want all the records in the table withing say 010117...010317 date range which i get using Filter := "Employee".GETFILTERS; expression in the onPreReport. Any idea on how to do this please? Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• ishyampandeyishyampandey Member Posts: 22
    Take one EmpVar
    Now OnAfterrecord write this condition
    IF EmpVar <> Table."Employee NO" THEN
    BEGIN
    EmpCount +=1;
    END;
    EmpVar := Table."Employee NO";

Do not clear any var.
    And apply filter on predataitem
  • Nav_ilNav_il Member Posts: 30
    Thanks ishyampandey . However, you cannot do this "IF EmpVar <> Table."Employee NO"". It means you are comparing an integer (EmpVar) with a code (Employee number). Also why apply filter on Predataitem? I have already appied it on onPreReport.
  • RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    You need to build a logic, there's no any keyword as distinct like SQL which exist here.
    Hi RockwithNav, thanks for the comment. Yes, I am aware that there is no keyword like DISTINCT, and I have been thinking of logics which are not working. For example, I tried to compare previous Employee number with the current one, if they are the same, I skip counting and if they are not the same, I count. But I don't know how to get previous employee number which is a code and compare it with the current employee number. Do you know how to do that?

• ishyampandeyishyampandey Member Posts: 22
    Nav_il wrote: »
    Thanks ishyampandey . However, you cannot do this "IF EmpVar <> Table."Employee NO"". It means you are comparing an integer (EmpVar) with a code (Employee number). Also why apply filter on Predataitem? I have already appied it on onPreReport.

Is your Employee no is integer type?
    No, My Employee No. is a Code datatype.
    Thanks ishyampandey. This works.
  • guidorobbenguidorobben Member Posts: 157
    edited 2018-08-22
    Just build a Query. Fast and simple. Oeps.. Just say this is for the classic Client.
  • hydharthydhart Member Posts: 20
    you can use temp table to store each record, and insert field you wish to count distinct to primary key and count the temp table.