Options

Balance At Date

Hello,

Is it possible to add Balance or Balance at Date column to General Ledger Entries in NAV 2017? One of our customer coming from Sage prefers seeing the Balance on a particular date along with the G/L Entry.

I tried adding the field from Dev Environment the column appears but the values on each line shows only zero.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Krishnan

Best Answer

• Options
    krishnansramkrishnansram Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Mr. Guzek. If things are going to be such complicated I would rather suggest the customer to go with the existing features. They are not particularly insisting, thankfully. Being a non technical guy and new to NAV I wasn't much aware about the technical aspects.

Thank you again for the swift response. Good day.

Regards,
    Krish

Answers

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    You have the Balance At Date and the Net Change flowfields in table 15 G/L Account.

There is no simple method of achieving the same in G/L Entry table. It is only possible to add a flowfield showing the actual balance (the Balance At Date which is the balance as of now, not as of when the entry has been created). If you want to have a running balance (the balance as of when the entry has been created) then a flowfield is not possible, and adding a normal field is not enough - which you have already discovered. You need also to add a code into the posting routines calculating new value each time a G/L Entry is created. Apart from being a it complicated it will also slow down the posting.

You could also off-load updating the running balance on G/L Entry table to a separate codeunit or report, running on job scheduler.

In my experience when customer wanted running balance the functionality was usually implemented in the G/L Entry form/page, when the balance was calculated on the fly.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    krishnansramkrishnansram Member Posts: 3
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Mr. Guzek. If things are going to be such complicated I would rather suggest the customer to go with the existing features. They are not particularly insisting, thankfully. Being a non technical guy and new to NAV I wasn't much aware about the technical aspects.

Thank you again for the swift response. Good day.

Regards,
    Krish