Options

Encrypt/decrypt a table

Hi all
Am about to make a feature which I (despite my many years with NAV) have not tried before.
Want to encrypt all fields on the fly when entering data in a special table and with a form being able to read decrypted information.
Have no idea where to begin - how to do?

It has to be done in a NAV 2009 Classic, but when talking table there is presumeably no difference.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Encrypr in OnValidate, decrypt in OnAfterGetRecord.

Just bear in mind that the field will no longer be searcheable. Users will not be able use any filters, and the code will only be able to use search for exact value - if you add the encryption in all the places where system does SETRANE on the field. Range filters, prev/next values - all of this will become impossible,
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    RockAndRollRockAndRoll Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Slawek.
    Was indeed aware of where to place the en-/decrypt and also which features will be missing.
    It is the encryption/decryption itself I am looking for - what to use and how. Have never had to use this before.
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Sorry, misunderstood your question.

You would probably need to find a 3rd party dll which does the encryption/decryption - if you are after 'a proper' encryption. The catch here is that NAV is quite limited when it comes to the data it can exchange with external dlls

Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    RockAndRollRockAndRoll Member Posts: 14
    Thanks BlackTiger
    Will follow your idea. It is not for possible intrusions, only for some sensible info's not to be readable for all eyes.