Options

Customise Primary Key when using Extensions

Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528
[NAV 2017]

Question:

I know it is not possible to custom the primary key in the standard table and include that table in the extension.
But is there a work around?

What I am trying to do:

The context is - basically when Item is same on multiple sales or purchase lines, the GL entries roll up and show one line as total, I want to separate those lines and show descriptions from document itself. I hope this make sense.

To do that I need to customise table 49 and add description field and then add it to primary key of the table and this is where the issue of extension limitation hits.

Any ideas will be appreciated!!

Ciao!
United Kingdom

Answers

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    edited 2018-01-17
    How abount using OnBeforeInsert event and modify some field already in PK, but not used in your solution? Tax Area Code for 'ciao' speaking customers seems to be good candidate :)
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    Sounds like an idea!, will give it a go. thank you!!
    United Kingdom
  • Options
    The issue is the length of the field :), Description is 50 chars long and Tax Area Code is 20.
    United Kingdom
  • Options
    HannesHolstHannesHolst Member Posts: 119
    Hi,

For my current installation, I'm using the field "Line No." of the Sales Line-Table to show the Description per Sales Line in the G/L Entry-table. Maybe it is possible to use the same Field and the field "Fixed Asset Line No." of Table 49 in your solution.
  • Options
    The issue is the length of the field :), Description is 50 chars long and Tax Area Code is 20.

Uppercase, remove spaces and hash the description, and take the first 20 characters of the hash. I'm pretty sure you won't see duplicates
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    AKAK Member Posts: 226
    Uppercase, remove spaces and hash the description, and take the first 20 characters of the hash. I'm pretty sure you won't see duplicates

I wouldn't recommend that. Hashes aren't collission free, so different data can result in the same hash. Cutting the hash will increase that probability.

Counting the unique descriptions and filling one of the unused key fields of table 49 with the corresponding integer value might do the job.
  • Options
    AK wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend that. Hashes aren't collission free, so different data can result in the same hash. Cutting the hash will increase that probability.
    The probability of collision of 128 bit long MD5 hash is 1/2^128. The hex string representation of 128 bit long hash is 32 characters long. If you cut it at 20 characters you will get 20 x 4bit = 80 bits. Probability of collision of that is 1/2^80, which is 1 in 1,208,925,819,614,630,000,000,000

I woudn't be much worried much about collisions...
    Slawek Guzek
  • Options
    AKAK Member Posts: 226
    My math skills are not good enough to prove you wrong, but the calculation of probability for the cut hash just feels wrong. Anyway, if there is a solution that might fail (with whatever probability) and another one that can't fail, I know which one I chose.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    [NAV 2017]

The context is - basically when Item is same on multiple sales or purchase lines, the GL entries roll up and show one line as total, I want to separate those lines and show descriptions from document itself. I hope this make sense.

Keep it simple.

just create a Dimension that maps one:one with the Item no. Then add this to the sales line. This will create a unique Dimension Set ID which will then group by dimension and thus do your grouping by Item automatically.

David Singleton