Nav 2016 - Installation problem (SQL Server instance exists but....)

KermiiKermii Member Posts: 14
Hello,

I'm facing problem with nav 2016 installation. I've just installed new SQL Server and next I wanted to install NAV 2016 on that. The question is about Server Instance, I don't want NAV to install Sql 2014 express just use that server which I installed previously (2016). I'm leaving the Sql Server Instance field empty to use the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) but after pressing Apply I'm getting an error:

db1q1hoccezg.png

Can you guys help me somehow? I don't want to install 2014 because I'm facing some .NET 3.5 issues and I can't even install that; 2016 and the 4x framework works correctly.

Answers

• loggerlogger Member Posts: 126
    Hi @Kermii ,
    1. Can you connect to your SQL server using SQL Server Management Studio?
    2. What is your SQL Server port? Maybe, it's different from default?
    Let's go!
  • KermiiKermii Member Posts: 14
    @logger thanks for your response

1. Yes I can connect to Management Studio, I've checked Security logins, roles for both:
    - my user (set to public/ sysadmin
    - Authority System (set on public only)

2. nrkhiy127nmb.png
    Probably this is default once (1433)
    @Kermii ,
    Next step - is your NAV installation on the same PC where SQL installed? If not, have you checked the firewall rules?
    Let's go!
    @logger I made some changes in firewall/ restart the system and finally I was able to start installation but I don't know why NAV was still installing sql 2014 - few errors has appeared, mainly about .NET framework 3.5 /2.0 - which is not installed on my machine and it cannot be (having the 4x version).... SQL Server Instance name field was empty (default was connected to SQL 2016)....arrrr...

Anyway can I install NAV without having the .NET (2 /3.5)? That's why I'm forcing that to use SQL 2016
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Untick the demo database in your setup, and create it manully by restoring backup which can be found on installation DVD
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
    edited 2017-12-14
    @Kermii ,
    I'm not sure about skipping .NET installation as it's prerequisite. Maybe, someone else who is more experienced in NAV installations can sey in more confidentally.
    But as I see, NAV 2016 system requirements don't include SQL Server 2016 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd301054(v=nav.90).aspx#SQLReq) so, maybe, installation just doesn't recognize it.
    Let's go!
    I will try to install .NET first, let see. I will give you info about the progress, thank you guys!
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    @Kermii

I tried your configuration when Microsoft launched SQL Server 2016 and I got the same error. It seems that NAV 2016 does not recognize SQL Server 2016 instance.
    Notice that I did this test last year. I don't know if NAV 2016 supports SQL Server 2016 now!
  • RocheTRocheT Member Posts: 7
    In case someone encountered this again, just search for SQL Server Configuration Manager then enable the TCP/IP
    g1in61s40f46.png

then right-click your server and select restart, now try installing again and it should work
    0h4k6kf8ej3q.png