Cannot start a second NAV server instance

Fredrik_Gustafsson_Fredrik_Gustafsson_ Member Posts: 1
edited 2017-08-11 in NAV Three Tier
I have one (default) instance of NAV server up and running. Then I create a second instance with the same settings but different ports. The instance creates successfully but it cannot be started. Event log gives almost no information. Version is NAV2017CU8
Any ideas about what is the problem?

From event log:
ServerInstance 'MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$NewInstance' failed to reach status 'Running' on this server due to the following error: 'Cannot start the service.'. Additional information may be in the event log of the server.

Answers

• davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    check and see if you have any blocked files in the instance folder - blocked files always gives you unrelated error messages
  • Nelson2017Nelson2017 Member Posts: 8
    edited 2017-08-15
    Same here after update from CU8 to CU9. I already checked the folder for blocked files.
    The only thing i´ve done is to replace the files in service folder with the new files from CU9.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Since 2016, replacing files has not always worked well - try uninstall and install again
    On the server are several 2017 Service Tiers with different builds. So i can´t reinstall by using the setup. What can i do instead?
  • JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    There is a config file in the Service folder that must be left out when doing CU updates.

Other than that I have had no issues doing overwrite updates in 16 and 17.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
    edited 2017-08-15
    Juhl wrote: »
    There is a config file in the Service folder that must be left out when doing CU updates.

I´ve set the parameters in custom_settings.config back to the right values after replacing the files. That can´t be the reason.

Check again. I spendt 2 hours the other day with the same, and finally found a spelling error in the database name
    Knowing well this situation ;-)
    But i also set the values in the NAV Administration - same error.
    Usually you´ll get a more detailled error in eventlog when anything is wrong in the config file.
    Yes there normally is more in the Event Log.

Have you tried creating a new instances with the same info, and not use the default instance?

I recently started disabling the default instance, to work around the overwrite issue with CU.
    The default 2017 instance on the machine is NAV 2017 RTM. I created a new instance for NAV 2017 CU8 and this instance has been working well until i updated the files of this instance to CU9. However, i get the same error when i create a new instance for CU9 by using the new-Service command on powershell. For CU8 this proceeding was successful, but not for CU9.
    I fixed it, but i don´t know how in detail. :)

First, i completely deleted the CU9 service folder from harddisk and copied it again (i tried this many times before without success). After creating the default instance for CU9 by using "new-Service" command, i created a new instance, set up the custom settings.config and it worked directly- Magic! :smile:

I don´t know why it doesn´t work with the default instance, maybe i did something wrong.
    Juhl, thank you for pushing me on the right way with the new instance!
    Your welcome