Why can I even make a FlowField editable of it just crashes the entire client when used?

neuroelectronicneuroelectronic Member Posts: 8
edited 2017-06-16 in NAV Three Tier
Is this really what is happening here or is there some knowledge of this FlowField property that I'm not privy to?

Upon typing anything into an editable FlowField, I receive the following sage communication in the form of a pop-up dialog:

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸The type of the flow field [name] in the table [name2] must be decimal. .·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`.·´¯`·.¸

So why can I even make a FlowField editable is editing it promptly crashes the RTC with this random and inapplicable error?

Best Answer

• neuroelectronicneuroelectronic Member Posts: 8
    Answer ✓
    By the way if anyone is wondering the proper way to do this, you need to create a dummy field and populate it with the flow field, then the user can edit the "flow field" and the proper action can happen as a result.

Answers

• KishormKishorm Member Posts: 921
    Flowfields are Editable to allow you to change the value and when you do this NAV will automatically create a new entry in the related table but as you have discovered this only works with Decimal type flowfields.

To see an example of where this is used have a look at G/L budgets - on the matrix cells all the user does is change the value of the flowfield and a new entry is automatically created in the G/L budget Entry table.

Doing something like that is about the only time you leave flowfields Editable, most of the time you should make it non-editable
  • neuroelectronicneuroelectronic Member Posts: 8
    Answer ✓
    By the way if anyone is wondering the proper way to do this, you need to create a dummy field and populate it with the flow field, then the user can edit the "flow field" and the proper action can happen as a result.