Unable to debug code in Subscriber after Cumulative Update 6 for NAV2017

EvoleapsEvoleaps Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I found that debugger stops responding once it hit the break-point inside code of a subscriber function. This happened after doing Cumulative Update 6.
Starting a debugger session after just stops responding. Compiling objects and restarting service does not help.

I was able to replicate this issue in standard Demo Database 10-0 on clean CU6 database and installation.

Anybody has similar issues?

This is a log from event viewer:

StackTrace:
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.ALDebugger.get_Instance()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.DebuggerCallStackDataProvider.GetAllItems(Boolean& isOrderedByPrimaryKeyAscending)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.EagerVirtualDataProvider.Find(FindProviderRequest request, Func`1 onlyCurrentKeyNeededForNextRow)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.EagerVirtualDataProvider.Count(DataProviderRequest request)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.EagerVirtualDataProvider.Exists(DataProviderRequest request)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.DataAccess.Exists(ExistsCacheRequest request)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.RecordImplementation.IsEmpty()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.BusinessApplication.Page9504.OnFindRecord_Scope.OnRun()
at Filter.InvokeWithFilter(NavMethodScope )
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavMethodScope.Run()
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.BusinessApplication.Page9504.OnFindRecord(NavText which)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Runtime.NavForm.FindRecord(String which)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NsFormDataAccess.Find(String searchMethod)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSPage.PositionDataAccess(NsDataAccess recDataAccess)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSPage.PopulateSpecificPage(NavDataSet dataSet, NsDataAccess recDataAccess, Boolean& moreDataInReadDirection, Boolean& moreDataInOppositeDirection)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSPage.PopulateCLRDataSet(NavDataSet dataSet, NsDataAccess recDataAccess, Boolean& moreDataInReadDirection, Boolean& moreDataInOppositeDirection)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSPage.GetPageData(NavSession session)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSPage.GetPage(NavSession session)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.NSService.Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.INavService.GetPage(PageRequestDefinition pageRequestDefinition, NavRecordState state)
at SyncInvokeGetPage(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.ServiceOperationInvoker.RunInTransactionCombinator(ServiceOperation innerOperation, NSServiceBase serviceInstance, String syncMethodName, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.ServiceOperationInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass22_0.<Combine>b__1(NSServiceBase serviceInstance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.ServiceOperationInvoker.TransientErrorRetryCombinator(ServiceOperation innerOperation, NSServiceBase serviceInstance, String syncMethodName, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.ServiceOperationInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass22_0.<Combine>b__1(NSServiceBase serviceInstance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Service.ServiceOperationInvoker.ErrorMappingCombinator(ServiceOperation innerOperation, NSServiceBase serviceInstance, String syncMethodName, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Ncl
HResult: -2146233088

Answers

• philriosphilrios Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I'm seeing the same issue. Looks to be a bug in the client. I had to roll back to a previous CU to enable debugging for my add-ons.
  • EvoleapsEvoleaps Member Posts: 4
    Yes, it's an issue with CU6 platform. Will be resolved in CU7.
  • philriosphilrios Member Posts: 2
    Just installed CU7 -- the problem persists.
  • SilverXSilverX Member Posts: 134
    Yes, confirmed. Still crashing.
    Cheers
    Carsten

==> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
    Yes, I guess the fix didn't make it for CU7 because it was discovered late. There is also nothing in release log regarding debugger changes. They will probably fix it in CU8.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Well, I plan to start do the merge for a large migration in July. Should I wait until NAV2017 becomes actually stable?
    @Miklos_Hollender At the moment with NAV 2017 CU6 and CU7 there is a limitation with debugger client. If your customization does not use NAV subscribers at all then you are safe. My guess is if you are migrating from older version than NAV2016 then you don't even have subscribers in the first place.

The current issue is that if you have custom code in subscriber you can not debug that code using NAV2017 CU6 or CU7- code runs perfectly fine, but the debugger client won't see those breakpoints or it will crash.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    @Evoleaps

Holy s**t I am officially stupid. I happily forgot about this, moved my old customizations into a subscriber codeunit, and then cannot debug it now. Thankfully it is only on my laptop. We will probably install the latest CU on the server and I will overwrite the objects with mine as I will not merge them again. Do you happen to know if they changed objects since CU6? As I am not sure if I should just overwrite the merged, customized objects or all of them.