2 Instance 2 Lisences 1 database

A client of ours had their license maxed out every day. when they ask for assistance with something and I remote in to the server to see what the issue is I hit the 'Your program license does not allow for any more simultaneous connections'

My question is, is it possible to have their production instance separate using the customer license and a separate instance, with my developer license applied to that instance then both instances attached to the one database?

Best Answer

Answers

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    The right answer is probably: No, because the license is stored into the database.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    The license is read on server start. So in theory upload dev license and restart your own Instance and remember to upload customer license.
    But but but, there could be some funny things doing this.

What about the external users type, in newer NAV these doesn't count, I heard? Haven't tested.
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • DoctorPartlowDoctorPartlow Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Juhl. I will try this and let you know. sounds like it should work.
  • DoctorPartlowDoctorPartlow Member Posts: 3
    kriki wrote: »
    How about putting in some parameters in the servicetier to disconnect (and free!) sessions that haven't been used for some time?

Otherwise : https://mibuso.com/howtos/how-to-use-multiple-licenses-simultaneously-in-service-tier-and-development
    But I wouldn't use it in a production environment. And the license needs to be on the server level. If it is on the database level, the database level license overrides this system.

this should do it but unfortunately can't do it during production hours as the license is stored in the DB.

also Juhl's method should work. I attempted it with a new instance and there's an extension that isn't licensed on the dev license. as soon as the client loads the service tier crashes due to the extension.