Options

Codeunit Execution

Good Day Folks,

I'm new here. I'd like to ask about the execution of the Codeunit in Dynamics NAV. When I create a codeunit, does all the clients connected to it execute these codeunits on their terminal or on server side? Is there a way to set the execution mode of the codeunit to the server side only?

Looking forward for your response. :)

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    KishormKishorm Member Posts: 921
    Depends on whether you are talking about older versions of NAV (2 tier) or later versions of NAV (3 tier). In older versions, the local client would be executing the codeunit whereas in newer versions it's the middle tier (NST = NAV service tier) that would be executing the codeunit.

There is also the related question of where DotNet variables run (on 3 tier) - for this there is a RunOnClient property. Similarly, there is a ClientSide property when using the CREATE function to create instances of automation servers.
  • Options
    coheedramoscoheedramos Member Posts: 6
    Kishorm wrote: »
    Depends on whether you are talking about older versions of NAV (2 tier) or later versions of NAV (3 tier). In older versions, the local client would be executing the codeunit whereas in newer versions it's the middle tier (NST = NAV service tier) that would be executing the codeunit.

There is also the related question of where DotNet variables run (on 3 tier) - for this there is a RunOnClient property. Similarly, there is a ClientSide property when using the CREATE function to create instances of automation servers.

thanks kishorm. what about the DotNet datatypes that is calling a custom written DLL. I'm encountering an issue in creating an instance. I want the DLL to be copied in the server only not on the client machines. If I make it RunOnClient = Yes, it is creating an instance but it requires the DLL to be installed or copied on the other clients. however, if it is "No" it cannot create an instance.
  • Options
    coheedramoscoheedramos Member Posts: 6
    btw I am using NAV 2013 R2