Options

What is needed in order to become a Dynamics NAV Developer?

gockatagockata Member Posts: 3
edited 2016-09-09 in General Chat
Hi,

I come from C++/C# world and I know that for programming Dynamics NAV a knowledge of C/AL is needed + knowledge of a How ERP systems works, but a thing that is not clear to me is what do I need in order to have a Development environment access?

The current situation is following:

- My company uses NAV 2009 trough a Microsoft Partner company.
- My company is not very happy with the Support of the Microsoft Partner Company that we hire.
- My company wants to employ 'in house developer' (me) who will support company Dynamics NAV with small fixes and updates.

So what Do I need to start Supporting the system myself?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Options
    EvREvR Member Posts: 178
    Answer ✓
    And if you're a c++/c# developer, you need a lot patience!
    Compared to what you are used to, NAV is like a big old lazy dinosaur ;) And you won't have full control over your stack.

Answers

• Options
    Exactly the way I thought it is.

Thank you for your answer
  • Options
    EvREvR Member Posts: 178
    Answer ✓
    Compared to what you are used to, NAV is like a big old lazy dinosaur ;) And you won't have full control over your stack.
  • Options
    EvR wrote: »

Yes its a dinosaur :smile: and my patience is coming to an end :smile:
    But its not hard beside standard development problems like:
    1. No history of any kind (features, bug fixes, documentation)
    2. Outdated version ( NAV 2009 R1)
    3. Meanwhile we are preparing to migrate to a newer version (NAV 2016)

There is no better way for a developer to start at his new job position right...? :smile:
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    You guys should join me in my NAV master class where I will teach you how to look at NAV and C/AL as if it were object oriented and how to make programming more efficient, controlable and fun. Next one is in Tampa in a few weeks.
  • Options
    danabakerdanabaker Member Posts: 0
    Hello, people! Here are some my thought about that:
    Considering that Dynamics NAV developer specializes in the design and architect he has to certain set of skills, knowledge, and experience. These are must have skills of a NAV programmer: HTML, NAV development experience, C/AL Synthesis, Dynamics CRM, etc. Moreover I have found this article about microsoft dynamics nav developer you may find more information there not only about skills but about other nuances.