Options

merge replication issues with navision

jksjks Member Posts: 277
Hi all,

one problem during replication. using navision with sql server option.
I have setup a merge replication( with column level tracking). It works. but when different columns of the same record are being updated in navision then it generates conflict accepting changes of publisher.

If i do the same in sql server table then it merges the changes of those two columns.

How to implement the same in navision? CURRENTTRANSACTIONTYPE can help me in some way?

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    of course, that there is conflict. It is not so simple to turn on replication for Navision... This is hard thing... There are special modules etc. for sync Navision DB.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Are these modules available in navision itself? where can i find them?
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, it is external modules... try to search this forums for sync DB...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    jonsan21jonsan21 Member Posts: 118
    Hi,

IMHO, you should not replicate directly to a Navision Database.

I have implemented merge synchronization using an intermediate database with triggers to do necessary update to Navision Database upon synchronization.

That should do the trick.

Rgds,

Jon.
    Rgds,

Jon.
  • Options
    Hi jonsan21

Can you please tell me a little bit about the flow of your replication process?
    How one can access navision using sql triggers? and intermediate database with triggers means you have one database on publisher side i.e publisher itself and two on subscriber side i.e subscriber itself and this intermediate database with trigger?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I noticed one : In navision if you update the different column of the same row for a table which is not related with any other table then merge replication works perfectly i.e it merges those two column data without any conflict. Conflict (if you consider above scenerio i.e update two diff. column of same row) occures only when table has relation with other table.(in this case 'search word' and 'search word details' also comes into the picture.)

And one more thing is if you apply the above changes, for the table having relation with other tables, in sql directly then conflicts do not generate.(i.e sql doesn't consider the relation between tables and so obviously doesn't cascade change)

why such a behaviour? Why sql is not taking into account the relation between tables?

Please help.
    waiting for the answer of my previous question.
  • Options
    jonsan21jonsan21 Member Posts: 118
    Can you please tell me a little bit about the flow of your replication process?

I have 1 publisher and 1 subscriber but my publisher is not my Navision database. Whenever a user do a specific task in Navision, it will write into a specified table (Navision database) which has SQL triggers to 'prepare' the publisher database.

So the flow would be something like:
    Navision -> Publisher -> Subscriber

And when the subscriber returns with the merge sync, it will update my Publisher which also has SQL triggers to update my Navision Database

So the return flow would be something like:
    Subscriber -> Publisher -> Navision

How one can access navision using sql triggers?

Since the Navision is sitting on SQL server, so you can access it as per normal.

and intermediate database with triggers means you have one database on publisher side i.e publisher itself and two on subscriber side i.e subscriber itself and this intermediate database with trigger?

Erm.. in my case, SQL triggers resides on Navision database and publisher database.

Hope that helps,

Rgds,

Jon.
    Rgds,

Jon.