Dynamics NAV 2016 Unicode in Dev Env

aceXaceX Member Posts: 165
edited 2016-04-19 in NAV Three Tier
Hi to all

Can anyone have the problem with the not supported Unicode in Dynamics NAV 16 and is there any way to fix this huge problem in Dynamics NAV 16. I have a problem with inserting the translation in Dev Env for 1251 (MKI) language. When I add translation for new od existing labels in Dev Env (ENU=Test;MKI=MyLanguage Test) all i see in RTC are characters ...
How is it possible when older versions support this, from the newest version to be excluded such helpful part

I think this is HUGE problem with Dev Env, so if someone have idea or solve this problem please let me know

Best Regards

Comments

• KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    edited 2016-04-20
    Apparently the Development Environment still uses Codepage 850, and unfortunately even more strictly than in older versions.
    You can verify this by entering the € currency symbol, even that is not supported anymore (introduced in Codepage 858), renders as ░ both when used in a TextConstant, as well as in the source code editor where it turns into a question mark when you save the object.
    We did a little test on the German forum for that some days ago, comparing the behaviour of NAV 2015 to NAV 2016:
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31137#p119482

If you want to add translations that require Unicode or anything else outside the scope of Codepage 850 follow these instructions:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn479852(v=nav.90).aspx

For single characters there is a workaround with the Char datatype to which a numeric value can be assigned
    MyChar := 8364; // €
    MESSAGE(FORMAT(MyChar));
    Kai Kowalewski
  • DuikmeesterDuikmeester Member Posts: 304
    edited 2016-04-20
    I think this must be possible seeing that NAV comes in various languages outside OEM character ranges. I guess when the development machine is just properly setup this should work like normal.
  • aceXaceX Member Posts: 165
    Sorry for the late reply.

I've tried with @Kowa solution

I have almost find a solution. The example in your link is one way to solve this problem in NAV 2016. But I still can't say that is solution.
    I'm selecting the report as object from object designer, than I'm going to Tools, Translate, Export. Next step is to save the exported TXT file in UTF - 8 encoding and import it back. After that, when I run the report everything looks fine except 3 characters are rendered as ? . At the end if I open labels or text constants in Dev Env, there i see only characters.

• KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    edited 2017-05-23
    The Tools>Translate>Import function is also only intended to be used with codepage 850 (on a system running in Western Europe, US. Other regions use other code pages, like 852 in CZ, PL etc.)
    You can use the PowerShell functions I have created here to convert the file
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25726&#p107219
    Use
    Function Convert_UTF8_OEM850
    to generate a new file based on yours and import that one.
    Kai Kowalewski