Options

Running report performance (memory exception and slow generation)

CaponeCapone Member Posts: 125
Hi!
Perhaps the header is a bit misleading. I'm not after on how to create a low performance report but I'm more interested how the generation/creation of the dataset works.

We have customer that has a lot of invoices and that has the following issues.

First: When they try to do the invoicing and print all the documents they get the out of memory exception.
Now we talk about a couple of hundred invoices. I have already redesign the dataset so logo is only included in the dataset once.
The first thing we are going to do is to create function that only prints the invoices by one hundred a time and that will be a workaround.

The user tried to do the printing both on his local crappy computer and on the citrix server. The interesting thing on the citrix server is that the report doesn't really affect the total available memory meaning it gives the exception even though it looks there are plenty of memory.
Are there somewhere a property on how much memory a report can access? Or is it possible that the citrix has a property on how much memory a user can use?

Second:
One thing we have noticed is that the local users have a way more quicker report running than users that are located geographic else where. All of them are connected through the same citrix. Is this because the dataset is being generated on the NAV server and after that is transmitted to the local user which then pass the information along to the local printer?
Is the solution to increase the network performance between the offices or could it be something else?
Hello IT, have you tried to turn it off and on?
Have you checked the cables?
Have you released the filters?

http://www.navfreak.com

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    CaponeCapone Member Posts: 125
    I don't understand your answer. Aren't the report always run on the server and then transfer the result to the client?
    What do you mean with running them on a server and send them to a reports directory?
    Hello IT, have you tried to turn it off and on?
    Have you checked the cables?
    Have you released the filters?

http://www.navfreak.com
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    The dataset is sent to the client. Large datasets over a slow connection will take a long time to transmit. If you avoid sending the dataset to the client, the user can then view the pdf when it has been completed.