Options

Change dimension value in posted document / entry

steven.leo@outlook.comsteven.leo@outlook.com Member Posts: 7
edited 2015-10-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi NAV expert,

i want to ask something related to dimensions in NAV 2015/2016. currently we are considering to upgrade our NAV 5 to 2015/2016.

we have a case where every purchase and sales transaction related to a project must fill in the project dimension code.

the problem is there are a lot of case where we purchase inventory before our sales close the deal, which means there are no project code created yet. But the goods are already need to be received in our warehouse.

so we create a dummy project code, and then

in our NAV 5, we solve this by creating a purchase return first and then create the correct purchase order with the correct dimension value and it is not an efficient way to correct the data.

i am aware that since NAV 2013+ Microsoft changes the way the dimension work.
so here is my question. i see that now NAV maintain dimension set id in every document and entries table and it save the master dimension set in dimension set entry table. if i change the value code in table 480 (dimension set entry) is it safe? i do a simple transaction and modify the data in this table and it works. but i'm not very sure about the overall impact in NAV.

anyone have been doing or testing about this ?

also if there are different approach / suggestion to solve our problems, i will appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    Hi Marhaus,

The dimension set ID references a combination of dimension values. So... if you want to change one dimension value for a record, you're looking for the dimension set ID that references all dimension values that the record has assigned. All the functions you would need are in Codeunit 408. I wouldn't directly modify table 480
    Regarding purchase with project code: The project will be known when you "consume" the items you have received earlier. with inventory integration into the G/L (automatic or not) and expected cost posting you will have the cost of the "consumed" item in the G/L, with the right dimensions. This should be enough to do the reporting on the project. It's different accounts (COGS), though. An edit of dimension values (or a correction and re-post) shouldn't be necessary, IMO.

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    steven.leo@outlook.comsteven.leo@outlook.com Member Posts: 7
    edited 2015-10-22
    Hi jglathe,

from the sales side, it is correct. we can trace our inventory from cogs account.

the problem is we can not find the information about our current inventory value. question like "how much our inventory value was purchased for project A" or "show a pie chart of inventory value by project" is still unanswered.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Marhaus,

that's right. Reservations are out?
    When you want to get this from the G/L, then the safest way is posting a correction and re-posting, like you already do. Even changing the dimension value would be a challenge... You would need to ensure that the item ledger entry has the right quantity (serial no. ?), and when you change the dimension value, you would need to change it in the value entries, too. And in the G/L entries belonging to these value entries. And invalidate/update the analysis view. Sounds like a lot of work to me.

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    i already discussed this with my partner about this issue.
    the idea is we need to develop a function to replace the dimension set id. Here's how:

1. find the posted document

2. run the function to replace the dimension set id

3. enter the new dimension code and dimension value

4. save and system will check if the new combination already exist or not in dimension set entry table

5. if yes, find the id and replace the old id with the new one in posted document header, posted document line, item ledger entry, value entry, g/l entry

6. if no, create the new dimension set id with the entered dimension combination and then continue to step 5

from technical perspective, is it possible to do?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    joshuasungjoshuasung Member Posts: 37
    I did something similar back in the time.
    If your upgrade process takes too long, translate dimension in current system before upgrade can save your time for upgrade. You just need to customize upgrade process though.
    Joshua H Sung

Sr. Project Manager
    S-Metric, LLC
    jsung@smetric.com
  • Options
    thank you both...

we already run few test in demo environment and it looks good.

• Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    In the downloads section, there was a download to change the dimensions after posting. Don't know if it was updated to 2015/16.