Options

NoSeriesManagement.INITSERIES

CGaraldeCGaralde Member Posts: 19
edited 2015-04-06 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I just have a question regarding an error that I am encountering regarding the INITSERIES function in the NoSeriesManagement codeunit.

I am getting the error:
"Type conversion is not possible because 1 of the operators contains an invalid type. Code := Text"

My code is:
NoSeriesMgt.InitSeries('OB-SO','OB-SO',0D,"SO Link",'OB-SO');

My scenario is:
From my limited knowledge in NAV, I know that the first, second and last parameters all refer to the NoSeries.Code. So I was just trying to hardcode the default, old and new series code to 'OB-SO' instead of creating a field which basically points to the same thing. Now when I try to compile, I get the "type conversion" error on the last parameter.

Any help is appreciated. :D

Answers

• Options
    neilgfneilgf Member Posts: 148
    Hi!

Looks like "SO link" causing the issue. This should be a code type field so what is it?

On a sales header table the same call is:
    NoSeriesMgt.InitSeries(GetNoSeriesCode,xRec."No. Series","Posting Date","No.","No. Series");

If it is not this field, please send your number series table and confirm which version of Nav you are using.

Neil
  • Options
    HI Neil,

Thanks for taking the time. First of all, I am using Nav 2013 R2.

Anyway, "SO Link" is defined as CODE[15] on Rec. I know that the error is on the last parameter because when I change it to, let's say Rec."No. Series" then no error appears.

I do use the same parameters as the Sales Order, in my earlier projects but my gripe with my current scenario is, the first, second and last parameters are all CODE[10] then why is it only showing an error on the last parameter.

Thanks.
  • Options
    neilgfneilgf Member Posts: 148
    Hi,

Not sure I can help then. It does look odd so may be worth checking latest list of bugs for Nav 2013R2.

The last but one parameter should be a code 20 -at least it should in the GB version - as this is the document number which is always as far as I am aware code 20. But then if you pass code 15 it will cope.

Only other think is where is "SO Link" coming from? Which table?

Neil
  • Options
    Hi,

"SO Link" is in my customized Order Book table. It basically meant to hold the SO (Sales Order Confirmation) Document number and therefore link the Order Book with the Confirmation, hence "SO Link". :D

Again, my main problem is why the error of Type Conversion Code:=Text when:

-Isn't Code directly convertible to Text?
    -'OB-SO' as a parameter value is not accepted, when 'OB-SO' as a value, in Rec table, in No. Series field is accepted?
    InitSeries(DefaultNoSeriesCode : Code[10];OldNoSeriesCode : Code[10];NewDate : Date;VAR NewNo : Code[20];VAR NewNoSeriesCode : Code[10])

-DefaultNoSeriesCode, OldNoSeriesCode accepts 'OB-SO' while NewNoSeriesCode does not?

I am stumped. ](*,)
  • Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,125
    Hi

that error message might be misleading. Actually, that last parameter is a VAR parameter. You cannot supply a text constant.
  • Options
    Aha!

Thanks vaprog! I am a a bit of a newbie at this and you are right, it is a VAR parameter. Actually, I did not know about VAR parameters until you pointed it out. So a VAR parameter only accepts references and not values. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks again everyone for the help.