Options

Installing Table Changes in Multi-Tenancy 2013 R2

dpraciliodpracilio Member Posts: 22
edited 2014-09-22 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Guys!

How is everyone dealing with importing table changes to NAV 2013 R2 into a multi-tenanted environment?

I am experiencing issues importing updated table objects when there is more than one tenant mounted on a NAV server instance. The error message is 'the (tenant name, as specified in tools\options\ could not be found. Check that the tenant is mounted...' I am using Build 36366.

When one tenant is mounted it seems to work fine, and once I mount the other tenants they inherit the table change/s successfully. I am curious to know whether this is the official process now, ie. you need to dismount the tenants, import objects, then mount the tenants to apply the changes to them. I am not sure if I have missed out on some configuration. What are you doing?

I've seen many posts including the official doco from Microsoft explaning the 'New Table Synchronization Paradigm in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2' which include running the 'Sync-NAVTenant' command but cannot see any mention on how to import the changes. I did see a 'How Do I' video around importing objects but that only covered an instance with one tenant, not multiple.

Please let me know how you are dealing with this.

Comments

• Options
    benrbenr Member Posts: 11
    In a true multi-tenant environment (with multiple tenants mounted to the service) you must have Prevent Data Loss set to No prior to your Import. This tells NAV to make the table changes asynchronously. If you are dropping any columns or tables you must ensure that the tables/columns are empty/have default values prior to the import. As a last resort, if you aren't sure what changed within the schema, then you will need to dismount the tenant and remount with a Force Sync.

So, our process has been:
    - keep track of table changes made during our release cycle
    - blank out any deleted columns\tables prior to import
    - import
    - run Sync-NAVTenant on all tenants

Ben
  • Options
    JasminkaTJasminkaT Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 34
    You cannot make such object changes while there are Tenants mounted on the service. When you modify the application, you make the changes available to one tenant at a time. As a result, if something goes wrong, all other tenants are not affected.
    To handle this restriction use one of the following two options:
    a. Dismount the tenants and make the change.
    You can then re-mount the Tenants. This is recommended in order to ensure data integrity.
    b. Set the “Prevent data loss from table changes”
    option to “No” (See Tools -> Options in the Development Environment). This will allow you to force the object change but is not recommended normally due to high risk of data loss if you are not extremely careful.