Options

Showing a file from the RTC client

ChielChiel Member Posts: 32
edited 2013-09-02 in NAV Three Tier
Hello Everybody
I'm having the following issue when I use the "dotnet" variable "System.Diagnostics.Process" which is located in the assembly:'System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.System.Diagnostics.Process.

The following code is used:
Process := Process.Process; //(This variable process runs on the client)
Process.Start('c:\temp\test.txt')

The purpose of the code is to show the file from the rtc client.

The exception which i'm receiving is:

Microsoft Dynamics NAV
Dit bericht is bestemd voor C/AL-programmeurs: De aanroep van lid Start is mislukt: Method 'System.Diagnostics.Process.Start' not found.
OK

Comments

• Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    i hope you are aware of this
    RTC will search for file in Service Tier system path c:\temp\test.txt not in client system path.
  • Options
    Yes, i'm aware of that.
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    so your file is located in service tier systems path c:\temp\test.txt?
  • Options
    The is located on the client. The dotnet variable has the property RunOnClient=Yes, The exception is: Method 'System.Diagnostics.Process.Start' not found.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For me this is working without problems:
    Proc.Start('somefileonlocaldisc');

where the Proc is the DotNet class System.Diagnostic.Process with RunOnClient=Yes. The Start is static method, you do not need to use the constructor to create the variable...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hello Kine
    I'm receiving this exception:
    (Dutch)
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    De DotNet-variabele is niet geïnstantieerd.
    OK
    Translates to ENU
    The DotNet Variable has not been created (something like that)

I already put the code in a assembly which resolved the problem.
    By the way, which assembly did you use?
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I have used the System assembly, class System.Diagnostic.Process.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Guybrush_ThreepwoodGuybrush_Threepwood Member Posts: 28
    I have the same problem. I want to open an Explorer-Window out of a Page in the RoleTailored Client. If I use Automation (per Windows Script Host Object Model) it all works fine, except that annoying Security-Warning. Then i heared, that if i use DotNet, i can skip this Warning by setting "serviceprincipalnamerequired" to "true" in the clientusersettings.config. So i decided to try to start the Explorer per DotNet.

After a short search i find out, that "System.Diagnostics.Process" should be suitable for my needs. So i created a DotNet-Variable "Process" ('System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.System.Diagnostics.Process) with "RunOnClient=Yes" and tried to run it on the "OnAssistEdit"-Trigger on my Page.
    Process := Process.Process();
    Process.Start('explorer.exe');

But when i click on the AssistEdit i get following Error-Message: "Method 'System.Diagnostics.Process.Start' not found".

I'm not very familiar with DotNet-Programming, so i created a simple Console-Application in Visual Studio 2010, that should do the same.
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Diagnostics;

namespace ConsoleApplication2
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Process.Start("explorer.exe");
            }
        }
    }

When i start this simple Application, a new Explorer-Window opens on my Computer. So, basically, i think i did nothing wrong in Navision. But why did i get the Error-Message in NAV? Must i do some more setup in NAV to get it running?
  • Options
    deV.chdeV.ch Member Posts: 543
    Are you running the original build of 2009 R2? The one from the dvd? If so, try to use a newer one (newest) because there were issues with .net interop and the early builds. I can run the code with no problem on my environment, i use Build32900.
  • Options
    deV.ch wrote:
    Are you running the original build of 2009 R2?

Yes, i do use the original build of R2. Sorry, i should have mentioned NAV Version and build in my initial post. :oops: I will try a newer build these days (when i finished setting up a testing environment) and post the results here.

Thanks for the hint!
  • Options
    I updated my R2 installation to Build 33997 and, suddenly, the same two lines of code work! Thank you very much!

:thumbsup:
  • Options
    KlaasFeenstraKlaasFeenstra Member Posts: 35
    Hello,

I got the same error. I solved it as follows:

proc := proc.Process;
    proc.StartInfo.FileName := filename;
    proc.Start;
  • Options
    DuikmeesterDuikmeester Member Posts: 304
    I found the following working quite well:

Process@11020701 : DotNet "'System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.System.Diagnostics.Process" RUNONCLIENT;
    ProcessStartInfo@11020700 : DotNet "'System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo" RUNONCLIENT;

Name := 'notepad.exe';
    Parameters := 'c:\temp\temp.txt';

ProcessStartInfo := ProcessStartInfo.ProcessStartInfo(Name,Parameters);
    Process := Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo);
    Process.WaitForExit;
    VarExitCode := Process.ExitCode;
  • Options
    KlaasFeenstraKlaasFeenstra Member Posts: 35
    Hello Duikmeester,

I assume that your solution only works with Notepad. I had to use a solution that works with all kind of documents. My solution doesn't need the update for NAV 2009. It works on NAV 2009R2 build 32012.

Mvg,

Klaas