Poor Performance when reading a SQL View via a NAV report

rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
edited 2013-08-12 in SQL Performance
Hi,

I'm trying to optimize a physical inventory generation in NAV2009. Client has 3,000,000+ Item Ledger entries, 65,000+ unique items and 50+ Inventory locations.

I have built a version of the "Calculate Inventory" process that uses a view that I created. The view summarizes the quantities (basically provides a Qty on Hand) and provides the most recent date in the Item Ledger Entries. It also groups by location so I can run the report by a group of locations. That way, if an item has had the most entry, say a year ago, and has a QtyOnHand of 0, then I can skip the rest of the processing. I do need both the most recent posting date and the Qty On Hand in order to filter the items I wish to process.

Here's my view:
Create view [dbo].[CRONUS USA, Inc_$Physical Inventory Select View] as
select "Item No_", "Location Code", MAX([Posting Date]) as [Last Posting Date], sum(Quantity) as QtyOnHand
from [CRONUS USA, Inc_$Item Ledger Entry] 
group by [Location Code], [Item No_]

The view runs fast enough in SQL, but if I use the view in a NAV report and run the Performance Monitor against it, each "NEXT" on the view table takes 90% of the processing time (e.g. 900 milliseconds per location/item vs. approx. 80 milleseconds for the rest of the processing, e.g. creating an item journal line), For any single location, the process has to read through 3000-20000+ Items.

As a result, the "Calculate" process runs way longer than I want it to.

I've tried FIND('-') along with NEXT in my code (The record reads for this table are in an "Integer" dataitem with manually-coded "NEXT" commands.) I've also tried FINDSET. There's no difference in performance. Currently, my Caching Record Set is set to 50.

If I can optimize the way NAV reads this view, I potentially can save 80-90% of the processing time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thx
Ron

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Use ADO instead and read the data through that instead of using view. There are many examples here. you can just run a select statement from NAV and then loop through the recordset.
    As for the view it can be improved in performance as well but the first option the fastest way.

Create view [dbo].[CRONUS USA, Inc_$Physical Inventory Select View] as
    select "Item No_", "Location Code", MAX([Posting Date]) as [Last Posting Date], sum("Remaining Quantity") as QtyOnHand
    from [CRONUS USA, Inc_$Item Ledger Entry]
    Where Open = 1

Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    ara3n wrote:
    Use ADO instead and read the data through that instead of using view. There are many examples here. you can just run a select statement from NAV and then loop through the recordset.
    As for the view it can be improved in performance as well but the first option the fastest way.

I've thought about converting to ADO - have done it before.

You also said "As for the view it can be improved in performance as well but the first option the fastest way."

Any specific ways to improve it?

Thx
    Ron
    The code above it that i posted
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    The code above it that i posted

Sorry - I didn't notice the code. Thanks. It might help a bit. Will try.
    Ron
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    But the optimized code will not show an Item/Location combination unless it has open entries, which seems to contradict the requirement. Or am I missing something? :-k
    Regards
    Peter
    If qty is zero he skips those entries.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    If qty is zero he skips those entries.
    As I read it, then he still need to process the Item/Location combination, even when there is no inventory. He only wish to skip processing if the most recent posting date is very old:
    rsaritzky wrote:
    That way, if an item has had the most entry, say a year ago, and has a QtyOnHand of 0, then I can skip the rest of the processing. I do need both the most recent posting date and the Qty On Hand in order to filter the items I wish to process.
    Regards
    Peter
    It turns out that I can't filter on Open = 1, because I DO need to include entries where qty on hand = 0 IF the last posting date is after a certain date. If I filter on Open = 1, then an item with recent Item Ledger Entries won't have the correct Last Posting Date.

Thanks for everyone's opinions, though. I appreciate the feedback.
    Ron
    I guess the problem is the cursor-type used by NAV, which we can't control.
    But you could create an indexed view, but that would add a bit of workload to every single update of the Item Ledger Entry table.
    You could also change your view to use one of NAV's own indexed views, i.e. ..$Item Ledger Entry$VSIFT$3.
    I guess it might help a bit, but I still think you will get the best performance using ADO.

Please let us know if it helps :)
    Regards
    Peter
    I got impatient, so I had to try using the existing NAV indexed view in my test DB with only 989875 Item Ledger Entries. 8)

I get the same 25896 records back, but it reads only 1/10 (5372 compared to 54473) and the duration is 1/3 (951 compared to 3105).
    This is without doing anything to prevent cache reads, and made in SSMS and stats from the SQL Profiler.

My view:
    Create view [dbo].[AA-TestPDJ] as
    select "Item No_", "Location Code", MAX([Posting Date]) as [Last Posting Date], sum(SUM$Quantity) as QtyOnHand
    from [dbo].[MyCompany$Item Ledger Entry$VSIFT$3]

PS: I'm using NAV2009R2 - you might find an even better index in NAV2013.
    Regards
    Peter
    Thanks for the idea! I started down the path of an indexed view, but haven't built one before and couldn't find an example that seemed to work - all the help docs say you can't use the MAX function in an indexed view. But I'll try your idea!
    Ron
    pdj wrote:
    I got impatient, so I had to try using the existing NAV indexed view in my test DB with only 989875 Item Ledger Entries. 8)

I get the same 25896 records back, but it reads only 1/10 (5372 compared to 54473) and the duration is 1/3 (951 compared to 3105).
    This is without doing anything to prevent cache reads, and made in SSMS and stats from the SQL Profiler.

My view:
    Create view [dbo].[AA-TestPDJ] as
    select "Item No_", "Location Code", MAX([Posting Date]) as [Last Posting Date], sum(SUM$Quantity) as QtyOnHand
    from [dbo].[MyCompany$Item Ledger Entry$VSIFT$3]

Well, the way NAV handles SQL cursors apparently strikes again - When running this through report code where the reads are handled by NEXT's, unfortunately, performance is exactly the same. Like you, I was encouraged by the speed of the return of data through the view directly from SQL (I did my tests in Query Analyzer). But if you run the same query through NAV and you run the NAV Performance Monitor, you'll see the same results. But a great idea!

Thanks
    Ron
    I just tried making linked tables in NAV, and going through the views with a simple find('-') until next=0 loop.
    My suggestion takes 1,3s and your suggestion takes 3,5s. (measured by currentdatetime in NAV)

It is strange you don't get a different performance with the two views. Could you show your code from the report triggers?
    What version are you using, and is it RTC or Classic?
    Regards
    Peter