Options

(MBS-Navision 3.70) WEB Service ?

ams79ams79 Member Posts: 39
Does MBS-Navision 3.70 runs as a Web service without making an application for it?

Comments

• Options
    JOLYJOLY Member Posts: 1
    I'm afraid not. You have 2 options:

1) you can write a web service which connects to Navision through C/ODBC or directly on SQL Server if you use the SQL Server option

2) you write a codeunit in Navision which calls a webservice to the external application (how to call a webservice from within Navision is explained here: http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1303&highlight=web+service)

For Native Navision servers I really don't like the C/ODBC option, because that always takes up a session. Imagine you have a Navision database with 10 user sessions available: 9 real users and one for the C/ODBC connection. If one user decides to log in twice, than the 10th session is blocked, than the C/ODBC cannot make a connection anymore and your Web Service will time out.

I prefer that Navision takes "the lead" for communicating with the outside world. Instead of a C/ODBC session, you install a NAS Service, and you program Navision so that the NAS looks for data to be processed (by calling the Web Service of the external application, taking in an XML from that web service with data input). You can than write code to process the data in Navision using the business logic that you have already written.

That way, all your business logic is in Navision, and you don't have to rewrite it in your web service as well. We have done several projects using this approach, and they all confirm that it's the right way to handle things.