Options

NAV 2013 Memory usage Data Cache

ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
edited 2013-03-22 in NAV Three Tier
The service tier is using only 900 meg on a server that has 32 gig memory.
Performance is not that great. The only setting I see is Data Cache size. The default value is 9.

Sets the data cache size. This is an abstract value with contextual meaning on the type of the item being cached.

The documentation is not enough.

Is there any way to increase so that the service tier uses all the available memory on the service tier?
Ahmed Rashed Amini
Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I've had some conversations with Microsoft (Technical Advisory Service) regarding the opposite of this problem. That is how do you limit the amount of memory it tries to use? My thinking is it has the same potential problem as 64 bit SQL. That is it may try to use more memory then physically available, resulting in slower performance.

They told me there is no setting to control this. It will use whatever it wants. You just have to monitor and add memory as needed. They did tell me it has a hard upper limit of 120 GB.

But no insight on what determines the memory it uses.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Well in our case there is lots of memory available but it's not using it.
    Performance is sluggish.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    What do you expect it to cache? The entire database?

900 MB is quite a lot of master data, objects and documents in progress.

I don't think it has been designed to replace SQL Server caching.

How big is the database and how many users do you have?

I have a 50GB 25/700 user system that performs pretty good, especially considering the HW.

Have you looked at the queries it fires? NAV 2013 creates these outer apply queries when you use flowfields on listpages. The results of these queries are stored in tempdb. They are a nightmare to analyse and tune.
  • Options
    Excepti0nalExcepti0nal Member Posts: 74
    The problem was the processors I had applied to the service Tier. It is a virtual environment and I had 4 virtual processors applied to the service Tier. We increased it to 8 and performance improved.
  • Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    I read that in 2009 the service tier is only able to use one processor. Is that wrong or does that change in 2013?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I read that in 2009 the service tier is only able to use one processor. Is that wrong or does that change in 2013?

That's true. I don't think it has changed in 2013.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Excepti0nalExcepti0nal Member Posts: 74
    It is only using one physical processor, I added virtual processors to the vm, more cores
  • Options
    adding virtual cpu resolved the performance issue.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yes, also from my experience, CPU helps a lot with NAV2013 service tier.