Options

>1 db on a single server instalation?

edvardasedvardas Member Posts: 13
hi,

is it possible to have >1 db on a single server installation?

Basically i need 3 different db on a single pc… so one possibility is to copy multiply times the server installation, correct the host and services files, but its not rational... is it possible to start 3 db from a single installation? what parameters should I use? Is there any “advanced” navision management manual?

also i need more >1 db with other nav server versions (2.6;3.1;3.6)

thanx in advanced

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    This is not possible. Changing host & services file is the way to go (for native database server installation).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    It is possible to have more than one database server on one computer. Read the installation manuals for detailed instructions. hat is not possible is to have multiple versions of the database server on one computer, although I have not tried to make that work.
  • Options
    It IS possible to have more than one database server versions on one server. Tested and approved.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I know I used to have 2.01, 2.5 and 2.6 versions running at the same time. After that I switched to SQL, so I don't know. I can remember reading about that it is not recommended to have multiple versions of the database server on a production machine. Of course on a dev box you can screw up anything you want right :)
  • Options
    been there, done that ... :wink:

at the moment, we have numerous 3.x and 4.0 versions on one SQL Server ... (No 2.x, so I wouldn't know if that works).

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    thanx 4 info...

lets say i'll install 2.6 +3.6+3.7+4 nav servers
    then i'll add additional db to each of them through the bat file and then
    change host + services files and copy these 2 files to each developer so he\she can connect to the servers.

am i right?

and developer should use the server name as it will be on host file or should they use IP?

the machine is only 4 dev .....
  • Options
    You can only have one db per Navision Database Server, so for each database you will need to install another instance of the database server.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    There should be one vague possibility, that is to have a programm change the value of the navision server in the registry and then restart the navision service.

I agree that the solution is maybe to complex for the problem, but hey, thats what we are here for :D
  • Options
    Why even bother... just install a second database server and you're set.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Well I have lot's of DB-servers on my portable (When I develop, I use a DB-server and not a direct connection, because it works easier).
    So I have 2.60, 3.01, 3.10, 3.60,3.70,4.00 DB-servers on my machine (all of them with manual startup of the service) and sometimes I have lot's of versions working on the same moment.
    What do I do to create a new DB-server?
    -If it is a version, I don't have yet, I install it from the CD. Copy the subdirectory of the DB-service to where I really want it. AND I DEINSTALL THE INSTALLED VERSION. This I do because it uses the standard TCP/IP port and later I might have to install a new version to copy it. So this might generate problems and like this I avoid this problem.
    -I create lines in the hosts and services files.
    -I create a subdir where I put the server-files (I just copy those from the standard-DB-install or from another DB-server I installed in the past)
    -I prepare a DB and put it in the subdir of the server-files (you can put this also in another subdir if you want).
    -I create 2 command-files: 1 for the startup and install and 1 for the stop and de-install (see later in this reply)
    -I create 3 shortcuts : 1 for each of the command-files and 1 with the Navision-client to connect to this DB. These 3 shortcuts I put in a place were I put all my shortcuts, so I have all shortcuts of all my DB's in 1 place.

Command-file for install/startup
    server CACHE=10000, COMMITCACHE=YES, SERVERNAME=CRONUS400IT, NETTYPE=TCP, DATABASE="C:\db\CRONUS\N400 IT\DBServer400\N400 IT.fdb", INSTALLASSERVICE
    net start CRONUS400IT

Once I installed the service, the first line I put in comment. I don't delete it because sooner or later I will copy this file for another DB-service.
    With 4.0 you can have problems to install it. I had the problem, thought I messed up some setup, rechecked and doublechecked everything, but the service refused to install. At a certain point I got :x :cry: :evil: ](*,) and I launched the commandfile several times and after a while it installed #-o

Command-file for de-install/stop
    net stop CRONUS400IT
    :server SERVERNAME=CRONUS400IT, NETTYPE=TCP, UNINSTALLASSERVICE

If I want to de-install, I just put the second line out of comment.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    thanx kriki 4 a grate answer :P

one more thing .... is it possible to start the second service ?? if i need to have 3 db of nav serv 2.6 i need to make 3 dir with the same nav serv 2.6 installation and start them as a service from different bat files? or i can start all of them from 1 installation directory just with a different params?

i am on a vacation so i can't test everything and i'll need to "make a solution" as fast as possible as soon as i return to office.
    So i want to figure everything out and then everything will be just :whistle: and \:D/
  • Options
    one more thing .... is it possible to start the second service ?? if i need to have 3 db of nav serv 2.6 i need to make 3 dir with the same nav serv 2.6 installation and start them as a service from different bat files? or i can start all of them from 1 installation directory just with a different params?
    You need 3 subdirs with in EACH subdir the server-files (server.exe,...) and in each the batch-files with different parameters.
    In short :
    -install the service once.
    -copy the subdir of the service to 3 different subdirs, put also the batch-files with different parameters in it.
    -de-install the service you installed
    i am on a vacation
    Lucky you :D . I already finished vacation :cry:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    thank you :)

soon vacation will be over and then as usually ](*,) and the boss [-(

](*,) ](*,)
  • Options
    That is the most comprehensive, clearest explanation that I have ever read about this subject. Thank you very much =D> . You should consider putting this in the tips/tricks section, or even write a how-to.
  • Options
    You should consider putting this in the tips/tricks section, or even write a how-to.
    I'll expand the info with an example in the services/hosts files and put it in the tips/tricks.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion