Reservation Entries and MRP

midnightmidnight Member Posts: 74
When we run MRP (planning worksheet) for purchasing, we are getting reservation entries created with reservation status "Reservation". All our items are set to Never Reserve on the item card. They are getting reserved for production order components. Is there a way we can stop these reservations when we run the planning worksheet, as they are causing issues when trying to close work orders. We get "Reserved item not on inventory".

Thanks

Comments

• cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    On Item card make sure Manufacturing Policy is Make-to-Stock and Reordering Policy should not be order.
    Thanks for the reply. On the SKU card we have Replenishment System "Purchase", Manufacturing Policy "Make-To-Stock", Reording Policy "Lot-For-Lot" (to accumulate demand). Attached is a snipe from the Reservation Entry table. It's the reservation entries that are causing the issue. We do use item tracking and serial numbers on our manufactured items. The items that we are running MRP for are all purchased items, and all are set to never reserve. Thoughts?

ReservationEntryTable_zps1fd9ff19.jpg
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    This should not happen your setup looks fine. I see that the reservations are to current stock, but I guess that the reservation occurs already in the planning worksheet if you look at the field reserved quantity? You can try to cange field order tracking policy on the item card to none, but that should not be the problem.
    Thanks cernst, order tracking policy is set to none. To be honest, when we run the planning work sheet, I don't what to see any entries in the reservation table for these items. We don't reserve inventory, and we don't track these items. All we're using the planning worksheet for is to identify the items for our purchaser that we might be in trouble on, or that we have too much on order, etc. Our BOM's have upward of 200 items on them (we have a lot of components). We have to be able to run MRP, but these reservation entries are causing major grief.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    May be obvious, but are you guys using Lot and serial numbers? These functionality uses the reservation codes as well.
  • midnightmidnight Member Posts: 74
    Alex, we are using serial numbers, but not lot numbers. The entries (production order components) that are getting created in the reservation entry table from the planning worksheet are not serialized though.
    I guess my question is when we run the planning worksheet can we have the entries (tracking, Surplus, etc) not hit the revervation entry table. This would solve all our problems.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    This is std nav process and how MRP works. It simply creates all those reservation entries records.

I had suggested to MS to not create them, but was shot down.

The Mod that I have done for clients is this. At the Beginning of MRP store all the existing reservation entries into a temporary table.

Let MRP run. At the end of MRP Delete all the reservation entries and insert the records back from Temporary table.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    It's just that these entries are causing problems with receiving purchse orders, backflushing components etc. How about this mod. When MRP runs, modify the code to not write anything to the reservation entry table, and we do not reserve for any of these items. I would think if you have selected to 'never' reserve on the item card, regardless of what you were doing in the system, no entries would get written to the reservation entry table (tracking of otherwise). Can anybody see a downfall to this?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    MRP uses these reservation entry to do the matching, and I believe MRP will stop working correctly.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    The thing is prior to us running MRP the reservation entry table has no entries in it for the location we are running MRP for (beasuse I had to delete the entries in order for other parts of the system to function). MRP looks ok, and lists the items that we may or may not be in trouble on for our purchaser. We only do MRP for purchased items.
    Apparently there is a hotfix out for the reservation entry issue. I'm being told 6 hrs to install. Seems a bit long.
  • shubhshubh Member Posts: 3
    did you find the solution. I am facing exactly same issue and cant find any solution to fix it. you mentioned about some hotfix. can you share how did u fix the solution . I need to resolve this .

appreciate your response
  • dtzanakakisdtzanakakis Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

Facing the same problem. MRP creates reservations during MRP run although in item card items are defined as Reserve = Optional, Order Tracking Policy = None.

The problem we face is that when our warehouse tries to reserve / allocate material to serve to production orders they get an error message that stock is not sufficient (due to stock having been reserved by MRP).

I have used MRP in 2 other ERP systems (BaaN & ORACLE eBS) and I consider this logic "crazy" ! I understand the creation of some kind of association between supply & demand sets / records for pegging purposes but these reservations / associations should be "soft" reservations that should not block the use of stock for other daily transactions such as component picking.

It is absolutely wrong logic, in this case we need to delete all entries in planning worksheet when our warehouse serves production orders to production (all day long...) and if we delete the planning worksheet entries we cannot analyze MRP propositions from the various NAV forms such as Item Availability by Event.

I cannot imagine there is no NAV parameter or hotfix to correct this logic.

Are you aware of any solution ?

Thanking you in advance

Dimitris