Options

Any problems running Navision 4.0 on an AMD Athlon 64?

leegjonescdpleegjonescdp Member Posts: 11
I am proposing we buy notebook PCs running the AMD Athlon 64-bit processor and XP Pro. My boss, who has longer Navision experience, says that there were problems running Navision on non-Intel processors in the past. Is this still true?
Can anyone confirm the problems or is anyone using the Athlon that can provide a reference as to its suitability for running Navision 4.0 and the VPC for demos?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Lee Jones

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I never hear about problems on AMD processors. I am using AMD without problems... and all our customers too...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    same conclusions here ... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    recallrecall Member Posts: 36
    I am using Navision with native DB and SQL-Server on AMD 64 and WinXP Prof.
    No Problems !
    Navision does not access any hardware-specific commands or assembler (*lol*). Nav 3.7 even runs on a win32 emulation in linux (We tried this out)!

If anyone had problems with AMD don't you think that IBM and Microsoft would have used that ?
    And I googled for the problem. Nothing!
  • Options
    leegjonescdpleegjonescdp Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to all who responded. Those were the kinds of backup I needed to go forward - I didn't expect any problems, but absolutely had to ask to make sure there were no surprises later.
    Thanks again.
    Lee Jones
  • Options
    recall wrote:
    Nav 3.7 even runs on a win32 emulation in linux (We tried this out)!

A bit off topic, I'd like to hear more about that. What do you mean by win32 emulation? VMWare (that works, but for me it's pointless, you still need a license, I rather dual boot), Wine or something else?
    I spent quite some time trying to run Navi (3.6 and 4.0) in Wine, with no luck. If you managed to run it under wine, please tell us how you did it, what needs to be done, what version, how stable it is...

Also, to the topic. Navi runs just fine with amd64 (wouldn't know about 64-bit Windows, though), I think the fears from the era of Cyrix and K-6 processors are finally gone. AMDs are nowdays in many acpects better processors that those of Intel.

Regards,
    Marko
  • Options
    hmmm.... sorry maybe I told you the wrong thing. I didn't mean something like wine, but I meant a dual-boot like (sry about my english :roll: ) starting win in lunix. We did it with redhat and used cross-access. It's a system where windows REALLY boots after linux has booted, but both OS' can share all the memory and CPU-time. So you can switch between them.

Hmmm... not really clear, or ?

Hope this helps a bit :)

It would be interesting if Navision starts somehow in wine ;)
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Well, I tried it with the latest version of wine ... but still no luck.

no reference though, because I'm only a hobby-ist in Linux (Fedora Core 4).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    I'm also a hobb-ist in Linux, but if Navision was stable in wine then, I guess, I'd be a professional. :)
  • Options
    so we have to wait until .NET comes for Navision.
    I hope it will run under MONO :)