Options

Key Information Tool for the Classic NAV 6.0 - SQL Server

jserranojserrano Member Posts: 3
edited 2013-01-28 in SQL Performance
Hello,

I'm having SQL Performance problems with NAV 6.0 and after reading a lot (including Jörg Stryk blog) I've decided to check mi VSIFT Buckets in order to reduce their maintenance as suggested (or al least I understood).

The article link is attached here

The White Paper named "Microsoft Business Solutions - Navision SQL server Option Resource Kit" refers to a pair of tools that I managed to download: Index Degrag Tool.fob and Key Information Tool.fob

Once installed, their objects appear on the Object Designer window as: "SQL Key Information 2.30" and "Index Defrag 2.0"

I'm quite sure that those objects are "so" old for the NAV 6.0 version (based on VSIFT instead of SIFT Tables). So I can't manage to disable the maintenance of some sumindex buckets.

Is there a newer version available to download. I'll be glad if anyone could help me with this issue.

Thanks. Jorge.

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    Starting with NAV50SP1, the bucket-thing does not exist anymore because indexed views are used for the SIFT instead of extra tables (+triggers in original table) in which the bucket-totals are stored.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Thanks for reading my BLOG & stuff :wink:

As kriki said, with 6.0 there's no more SIFT, replaced by VSIFT which is not much of a problem today ...

I suggest to use SQL Profiler to investigate problematic queries and to establish processes to monitor blocks and deadlocks - this should reveal the application-related problems!
    And of course you need to make sure your server sizing & configuration is optimized; plus you should have sufficient maintenance installed!

The "NAV Performance Troubleshooting Tools" incl. "SQL Key Information 2.30" and "Index Defrag 2.0" are ... uh, let's be polite and say "they are outdatetd and insufficient" :thumbsdown: ... don't use that, there are way better tools around 8)
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kriki wrote:
    Starting with NAV50SP1, the bucket-thing does not exist anymore because indexed views are used for the SIFT instead of extra tables (+triggers in original table) in which the bucket-totals are stored.

Just to add that even though buckets no longer exist, you can still create your own buckets when needed. This is often needed where you have Indexes created of many fields in records with many rows.

Also note that if you have 5.00 with the latest service packs applied then you are also using VSIFT, they hid that one in there as a nice quiet surprise.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    jserranojserrano Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your answers.

stryk, not only reading your blog but expecting the shipment of your book!

So, can I consider than the previously mentioned tools are still the last versions available?

Thanks again to all.
    Jorge.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot (have in mind the book is somewhat old not fully accurate today :oops:

Regarding the "tools": well, from NAV site there's not much, and the few things available are insufficient. For troubleshooting the best tool ist SQL Server itself, e.g. the SQL Profiler and more.
    Plus, in the internet (my BLOG and many others as well!) you find tons of useful stuff which could help you!
    STRYK System Improvement
  • Options
    DRBDRB Member Posts: 105
    Hi All,
    What is the best way to get Locking information during a period of time? For example, I want to create a log file/ table of all the locking issues in the database during a day (on NAV2009 R2 database on SQL Server 2008 server). Is SQL Profiler the right tool? Will it not increase the load of server significantly?

Is there any other tool for this purpose?
    Looking forward for your reply.
    -Dhan Raj Bansal
    Linkedin Profile: http://in.linkedin.com/in/dhanrajbansal
  • Options
    STRYK System Improvement