Options

Solution Developer Licence for multiple country DB

Prajeesh_NairPrajeesh_Nair Member Posts: 70
edited 2012-09-10 in Navision Financials
Hi All :) ,

I would like to know whether i can use same Developer license(Nav 2009 R2) for different countries.
Like my company have different locations like Korea and Taiwan. Can i use 1 SD license to work with both the DB. The language will be different according to the location. Will it cause any issues in future. Is there any international license kind of thing with Microsoft (which works with all the Location).

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You may want to check with your Microsoft office on this. But my guess would be no, you cannot take a license from one country and install it in another country.
  • Options
    Hi Alex,

I don't want to install the license to another Country DB i want to do the modification or customization with it by changing or i will maintain a development DB of both in my system. Is there any international license kind of concept with Nav :-k .
    since i am supporting for Nav in my company which have different country DB. Its very expensive for the company to purchase different SD licenses for each country.
  • Options
    Hi Alex,

I don't want to install the license to another Country DB i want to do the modification or customization with it by changing or i will maintain a development DB of both in my system. Is there any international license kind of concept with Nav :-k .
    since i am supporting for Nav in my company which have different country DB. Its very expensive for the company to purchase different SD licenses for each country.

Check with your Microsoft rep, they will give you an answer on this.

I can safely say that no one on this forum really understands how licensing works.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Alex Chow wrote:
    I can safely say that no one on this forum really understands how licensing works.
    There are maybe 2 people at Microsoft who do, and nobody knows who they are :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Sorry here's what I meant to say:
    I can safely say that no one on this forum really understands how licensing works
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am afraid that there will be no way for customer license. We, as a partner, could generate developers license for any country and use it. But end-user license... I assume "no way".
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks All for there valuable advice :) . Since we are not a Microsoft Partner or Customer yet, i don't think even some one from Microsoft can give a solution. The partner we are going with is not giving a clear solution on the matter. Any way we will try to get more clarification on the issue :-k .
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Thanks All for there valuable advice :) . Since we are not a Microsoft Partner or Customer yet, i don't think even some one from Microsoft can give a solution. The partner we are going with is not giving a clear solution on the matter. Any way we will try to get more clarification on the issue :-k .

Prajeesh,

the most important factor in successfully implementing Navision, is a solid and competent partner. If at this early stage of the process you are not comfortable, then you need to sit with them and have them show you what Navision is about and what is possible and what is not.

It may be that you just want to hear from them that something is possible when it is not, in this case remember that a strong partner will be honest with you and say "no" even when you want them to say "yes". You are trying to do something that is not in the legal scope of the Navision Solution Developer Granule, and maybe your partner is being honest and giving you bad news you don't want to hear.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Dear David :D ,

Thanks for your guidance.
    I got the point you are telling me. I am a Developer (beginner :mrgreen: ) in Nav, i have worked with Indian Db. But my doubt about using the one SD license to work with multiple country Db sustains. I am going to support the implementation process and will be supporting my company in future work, as i don't want all the work which is manageable by me to go to the partner .

The partner is telling you need different license to work with different country Db, since each country will have it's own localizations. I wanted to make clear that's true. Can i work with standard Nav Db(except the localization).

Global license concept is there :?: ?
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The partner is telling you need different license to work with different country Db, since each country will have it's own localizations. I wanted to make clear that's true. Can i work with standard Nav Db(except the localization).

Global license concept is there :?: ?

This is probably the point that your partner wont/cant commit to, because it is a grey area in Navision licensing.

Lets take a scenario, say you have three Navision implementations; India, USA and Spain. These are three localizations that have significant and very different localization objects. Lets also assume you have a significant amount of customizations in the object range 77,000..77,999 and you have licensed that range in all three databases. But in just ONE of the licenses (say USA) you purchase the Solution developer and Application Builder granules. Now you have a technical issue and a legal issue:

Technically using the USA license you can edit all the Navision standard objects (1..9,999 and 99,000,000..99,099,999) as well as the USA specific objects (10,000..10,999 and 25,000..25,999) and of course the objects you purchased (77,000..77,999) and any add-ons that you put in that license. On the other hand you will NOT be able to access localization objects for India and Spain, so things like the Indian taxes and Voucher and Approval enhancements or Catera in Spain you can not work on.

But it goes further, and this is the area no one is sure about. The Legal issue, reading the license agreement it can be interpreted that objects developed using a customer license can not be used in any other license except that specific license, but I know that many Navision users do exactly what you are suggesting with Microsoft's knowledge, as my interpretation of the contract is that a company can transfer objects from one database to another IN THEIR OWN Corporation, so basically you can't develop code using Solution Developer and Application Builder and then sell them to another company.

In the end though I work with many multi national companies, and in that case the proper way to go is to base all your databases on W1. This means you will lose some features, but you will have once consistent development platform across all countries.

By the way, it sounds like your partner is giving you good advice, but that are in a grey area where they a/ want to protect you legally, and b/ don't want to get you locked into a complex and overly expensive solution. Ask them about a W1 solution.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Thanks David :thumbsup: . Will talk to the partner and let you know the results. The suggestion you have given was wonderful. The examples was great so any one can understand the whole issue \:D/ . "World wide DB" our company is thinking to do in future :-k . Its bit tough since the franchises are having different structure and languages. The company is world wide almost more than 20 countries. some are working with different ERP like SAP, ORACLE, JD edward....