Options

Hiding License Information

kampretkampret Member Posts: 38
Can anyone shows me how to hide the license information? I want to hide it so that nobody can export my license.
I have tried to create new database users and roles. I can make the License Information menu disabled for the login user. However, if you choose cancel (you don't login to any database), the License Info menu CAN be clicked.
Can anyone solve this?

thx

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    delete fin.flf from your client folder. The Export function export only local copy of license, not the one from the server... and you do not need this local license...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    UrmasUrmas Member Posts: 76
    The appearance of the license information in the menu is not a problem as long as you do not deploy your license file to the client computer. And if you do so, there is no sense to forbid the export anyway...
    If user clicks Cancel while logging on, the local license is displayed in the License Information box. If the local license is Cronus - then I think you will not oppose if the user wants to export it somehere.
  • Options
    thx for the reply, I have the following questions:
    1. can you tell me which license file is actually used by the system? it is not the fin.flf in the client folder? where does it store then?
    2. if I am not using client-server, just the client, where does it store the license file?
    3. my company wants to install navision in a number of pcs using the company license. I want to prohibit the license to be imported by our employees. I do not want the company license gets exported and used by the employee for his individual purposes.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Client start with local license file - fin.flf in client folder.

After you connect to some server, client download the license from the server, but it will not save it somewhere, the license file is only in memory. If you use "Change" button on license info, your selected license file will be used until you close the client (it is used mainly with developers when they need develop on customer site - it overload the default server license, but only temporarily). The local license is only used when you are not connected to any server - for example when you are using .fdb file directly (single user mode).

If you are using only client, the license is in the fin.flf of the client...

If you have Navision native DB server, the license is in server folder under filename fin.flf. If you have MS SQL server, the license is in Master DB or in the Navision DB if you have License per database in special table...

To prevent employees to steal the license, you must have the license only on the server - never import the license to the client... (it means do not use import function... on MS SQL you can use upload button, not import) client do not need the license file, it will download it from the server. And the export function export only local license. And of course, do not give rights to the license informations system objects to your users...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    thanks kine, you explained it very well..

let's say that I only have the license on the server. Then client computer(my employee's pc) choose to import the license from the server (even though not necessary as it gets automatically). When he presses Export, which one will be imported? the local license (the one that has limited permission, ex: cronus) or the one stored on the server (my company's license)??
  • Options
    UrmasUrmas Member Posts: 76
    The system will export the local license (stored on the client computer and used when the program was started). However - note that if you do not restrict the license permissions, the user may try to upload its Cronus license to the server, disabling so effectively the system functionalities.
  • Options
    thx guys, now i am clear about the export and import.

1.recently i was trying to install the server. the database server is installed and running. the application server is installed but NOT yet running.
    it tells me that my program license does not permit more users to work simultaneously.
    which line in the license file tells about this? is it the Session or "Per Database License"?

2.After I have installed both the database and application server, there are 3 services running on my pc (check it from control panel->administrative tools->services).
    They are: Database Server P4se(Computer name), Application Server P4se-SQL, and Application server P4se-Classic
    what are those services? can you explain to me, what are they?
    I tried to start the services, but none of them success.

thanks
  • Options
    [eNeRGy][eNeRGy] Member Posts: 5
    kampret wrote:
    thx guys, now i am clear about the export and import.

1.recently i was trying to install the server. the database server is installed and running. the application server is installed but NOT yet running.
    it tells me that my program license does not permit more users to work simultaneously.
    which line in the license file tells about this? is it the Session or "Per Database License"?
    NAS needs a own license line: "1,420 Application Server"
    2.After I have installed both the database and application server, there are 3 services running on my pc (check it from control panel->administrative tools->services).
    They are: Database Server P4se(Computer name), Application Server P4se-SQL, and Application server P4se-Classic
    what are those services? can you explain to me, what are they?
    Database Server P4se -> Navision Database Server
    Server P4se-SQL -> Navision Application Server for MSSQL Option databases
    Application server P4se-Classic -> Navision Application Server for Native databases

The Application servers need to be configured using the "Navision Application Server Manager".

You can read more info on the product cd in the file "\Doc\w1w1atas.pdf"
    Michaël Hompus
    GAC Business Solutions