Options

Remote users

RobySpainRobySpain Member Posts: 57
Hello,

I would know which is the best way to connect remote users (from differents countries) to the same database.

I am thinking in Terminal Server, but I would like to know your opinion.
Are there more options? is it possible connect directly someone by TCP/IP thougth the internet?

I would have 2 remote users in China (permanents), 3 remote users in Mexico, and the main database in Spain.

Is better this option or different database and sincronize all of them?

Thanks for your comments.

Roberto

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    here's a small discussion on the topic - you can search this forum too just as the post suggests to search mbsonline.org

http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14679

note: msbonline has been running a bit slow lately - so give it a sec it will pop up...eventually. JK :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Denis_PetrovDenis_Petrov Member Posts: 107
    Terminal Server is your only solution. We have about 80 offices accross 4 time zones and a foreign country accessing our server in one location. To sync dbs is to lose sleep - it will be very hard to accomplish and simply not worth it. And it is fast too - I tried it even on a very slow dial up connections.
    Best regards,

Denis Petrov.
  • Options
    dmitripdmitrip Member Posts: 44
    We used separate SQL server and Navision per location (which is a separate legal entity with all operations) plus SQL transactional replication with the central office.
    The reasons are:
    1. Speed. They couldn’t wait even 1 sec. (we tested Terminal Server and delay was about 1-2- sec.).
    2. Reliability. We didn’t want to be dependent on the channel.