Options

Sorting on X-Axis in Chart in RTC

wellingtonwellington Member Posts: 10
edited 2012-06-26 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I have generated a chart where on X-Axis, I have months like January 2011, February 2012, March 2012 etc., and on the Y-Axis I have total sales amount for that month.

The table from where I get data has following structure.

No. Month Sales
1 Jan 2011 $10,000
2 Feb 2011 $5,000
3 Apr 2011 $9,000

Now when I generate a chart, it shows following way.

15|
|
|
10| x
| x
|
5|_____________x_____________________
Apr 2011 Feb 2011 Jan 2011

Here, as you can see X-Axis values are sorted ascending. Instead, I want to sort it in the periodic way.

i.e. Jan 2011...Feb 2011...Apr 2011 etc.

Can you please help me solving it?

Regards.

Answers

• Options
    Christian_AbelnChristian_Abeln Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 42
    Could it be that the table contains the Dates as strings?

In NAV 2009 R2 charts with a discrete axis always sort the strings alphabetically.
    In NAV 2013 we have switched off the default sorting, in order to allow using a discrete axis inorder to allow situation where the sorting in the table is important, like for custom data axis rendering.
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Christian Abeln
    Program Manager Microsoft
    Dynamics NAV

blogs.msdn.com/cabeln/
  • Options
    wellingtonwellington Member Posts: 10
    Could it be that the table contains the Dates as strings?

In NAV 2009 R2 charts with a discrete axis always sort the strings alphabetically.
    In NAV 2013 we have switched off the default sorting, in order to allow using a discrete axis inorder to allow situation where the sorting in the table is important, like for custom data axis rendering.

You're right my friend. The table contains the Dates as strings, as I have to show them in X-axis in <Month Text> <Year,4> format. I hope we get more control over Chart customization in NAV 2013. Btw, when is NAV 2013 going to be released?

Thanks for your post.