Options

Diff. : 7200 Application Builder - 7300 Solution Developer

andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
edited 2012-04-19 in General Chat
Dear all,

I ask you the exact difference between the granule 7200 and 7300.

We are a Microsoft partner but an our customer would like a dev license and we don't know exactly the list of objects/functions not editable/manageable by 7200.
The difference of cost is high.

I copy the description of Microsoft Dynamics Price List Explanation.

Thank you

7200 Application Builder 7110, 7120, 7130 You use this granule to change the business rules and special calculations that work behind the scenes. These business rules and special calculations are defined in a language we call C/AL (C/SIDE Application Language). While Application Builder includes access to C/AL, it does not allow access to existing C/AL code that updates write-protected tables (postings for instance). Application Builder lets you create entirely new areas of functionality for your application, enabling you to tailor Microsoft Dynamics NAV to fit your entire organization. This tool also enables you to create 100 Codeunit objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099). The Application Builder granule enables you to take advantage of the functionality included for developers in the Navigation Pane Designer. This means, for example, that you can create new menu items.

Note that to actually modify XML Port objects granule 7140 XML Port Designer is needed.

7300 Solution Developer 7200 You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool as well as the TIF Editor. This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule.

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Here are some more details that may help

End User NAV developer license

To see which tables you get access to, go to an end user license and look at which tables the user does not have write access to. Mainly its the entry tables, 17, 32, 21 etc.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    By the way, when a customer is planning to buy these granules, I always suggest they purchase just the application builder and try that for a month or two to see if they really need the Solution Developer.

I have seen a number of customers that purchased the Solution Developer, but maybe only one or two that actually needed it. For the rare cases they need to modify protected areas, they can get you to do it for them a lot cheaper.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    But a customer having:

Report designer (7,110)
    Dataport designer (included in 7,110)
    Form designer (7,120)
    Table designer (7,130)
    XMLport designer (7,140)

what can do without Application builder (7,200) ?

Can he customize/modify/develop something?
    What is allowed/not allowed?

Thanks
  • Options
    I tried some test with actual customer license without 7200 and cannot enter in C/AL Code (F9) and variables..

Tnx
  • Options
    andy76 wrote:
    I tried some test with actual customer license without 7200 and cannot enter in C/AL Code (F9) and variables..

Tnx

Exactly 7,200 gives you access to code, which also includes local and global variables. 7,300 will give you access to modify read only tables. I think this is already clearly stated in this thread.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I ask you if modifying/deleting data (not modifying the code) of protected posting tables is allowed with granule 7200 or with both (7200 + 7300) or is it always required a partner license.

Thank you very much
  • Options
    andy76 wrote:
    I ask you if modifying/deleting data (not modifying the code) of protected posting tables is allowed with granule 7200 or with both (7200 + 7300) or is it always required a partner license.

Thank you very much

Its all the same, thing. Basically 7.300 allows you to modify insert and delete protected tables. You can NOT write any code or report that inserts modifies or deletes a table that you don't have permission to.

So yes if you purchase 7300 you can modify eg Item Ledger Entry.
    David Singleton