Options

Problems in creating new NAV database on SQL Server

Marco_FerrariMarco_Ferrari Member Posts: 53
edited 2012-04-13 in SQL General
Hi all, I have a problem in creating a new database with NAV 2009 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on my laptop with Windows 7 Professional. I have installed the Cronus Demo Database and I can access it without problems with finsql or the RTC; this database has been installed during the installation of NAV (originally was SQL 2005 then I upgraded it to SQL 2008 R2). When I try to create a new database (windows login), I insert the name and when I exit the field, I get the error "The user ID and password are invalid. Try again" and NAV client crashes and exit.

I've noted that my windows login account in SQL Server does not have the dbcreator server role associated, but the problem is that I cannot add it, because I dont' have the permission to change the server roles in SQL! My account is an administrator account, so I cannot really understand where could be the problem. I tried to login as sa, but the system tells me that the password is wrong (I've never set a password on this account and as far as I know this should be set on blank during the installation of SQL Server!!).

Does anyone has some ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Marco
Marco Ferrari
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Cronus.it

Comments

• Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    When you say your account is an Adminstrator account I assume you mean it is a member of the Administrators windows group for the machine.

If you have windows User Access Control enabled, your windows account will be removed from this group, so even though Administrators is a sysadmin in SQL Server, the effect is that you are not.

Try to disable User Access Control and restart the machine (Control Panel / User Accounts). See if your are now a sysadmin of the SQL Server.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    Ok, I've solved it... the solution is: run finsql using the right click and "Run as an administrator"!! Please note that I'm an administrator on my notebook...

Thanks,
    Marco
    Marco Ferrari
    Cronus.it
  • Options
    Thanks Dean, I didn't tried your solution just because you posted it after I found the solution, but I think that probably has the same effect. In any case, I prefer not to disable the user access control for security problems.

Marco
    Marco Ferrari
    Cronus.it