? How to migrate a Attain 3.6 database to SQL Server

ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
edited 2012-04-11 in Navision Attain
OK, this question been asked at least a dozen times on the forums and I have looked at dozens of posts, but haven't found an straightforward answer and most post are to old to post in them, so I got the following situation:
1)Navision Attain 3.6 (native) database
I took a backup which is spread over 10 fbk files
2)SQL Server 2008/2005 (I have 2008 where i'm working from today but a 2005 where I have to implement the migration)

So how do I do this migration, in one post I read about looking it up in the w1w1upgr.pdf chapter 8 but the pdf I've gotten only has 7 chapters.
Can someone please give me a boost/nudge in the right direction

Answers

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    1/ check the Navision database for data errors or non SQL compliant data.
    2/ Create Navision native backup.
    3/ Restore backup into new SQL database.

Of course there are issues like performance, and installing clients and any other connectivity etc. but migrating the database really is the simple part.

This might also help

http://wiki.dynamicsbook.com/index.php? ... ive_to_SQL
    David Singleton
  • ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
    Thanks
    In the article it states about migrate.fob where can I find this.
    Restore the database in sql server, is it just that easy.
    Cause I tried doing a restore and got an error about incorrect formatting unless this is pointing towards incorrect date format.
    Resender wrote:
    Thanks
    In the article it states about migrate.fob where can I find this.
    Restore the database in sql server, is it just that easy.
    Cause I tried doing a restore and got an error about incorrect formatting unless this is pointing towards incorrect date format.

Yes that is probably because of dates earlier than 1793 or there abouts.

Migrate.fob used to be on one of the old install CDs, but not sure where to get it now. You will need a partner license to run it.
    David Singleton
    OK, thanks.
    I'll see if I can locate the fob
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    the SQL migration objects are part of the upgrade toolkit, which is on the installation disk
    DenSter wrote:
    the SQL migration objects are part of the upgrade toolkit, which is on the installation disk
    Yeah I reckoned so much, I'm looking if we might have those.
    Resender wrote:
    DenSter wrote:
    Yeah I reckoned so much, I'm looking if we might have those.

You don't need the old one, the objects haven't changed, so you can use the current version in your old database.
    David Singleton
    I don't think you can import 2009 version objects into a 3.6 database. It would be better if you had the original installation disk.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    DenSter wrote:
    I don't think you can import 2009 version objects into a 3.6 database. It would be better if you had the original installation disk.
    Sounded to me that he was going from 3.6 Native to 3.6 Sql. :-k
    Yes it sounded like that to me too, but David was suggesting to use the current version objects for the SQL Migration part, which I interpreted as '2009 version'.
    I just did it a few weeks back. (4.00 not 3.60 but same principle) I exported the objects as text and imported to the 4.00 Native database. The objects have not changed in 10 years.
    David Singleton
    It is indeed a move from Native 3.60 to SQL Server.
    Ok so my question been answered, I need to get the migrate fob, import it into nav, use its codeunits to check & correct the database, take a backup of the corrected database and correct it.

I thank everyone for their answers