Options

email inserted in a blob field

achecac@yahoo.comachecac@yahoo.com Member Posts: 11
edited 2012-03-27 in SQL General
Hi,
I am planning on customize e-mail logging funcionality to log in nav emails not stored in exchange server. The customization should be based on standard Microsoft Outlook 12.0 Object Library Automation to retreive from outlook some emails the user places in a certain tray (so the mails "imported" are choosen by the user). Then, the automation creates a .msg file and inserts it into a BLOB field in the attachments table.
The question is about security: Do you think security on the sql database server could be compromised by this? Could a malware get into a blob field inside the sql database to activate a virus attached to an outlook inserted msg?

Comments

• Options
    ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
    The first question I have before I can look into this why do you want to store email in a blob field.
  • Options
    So the users, when they reply, can attach it to the answering mail.
    Attaching original mail in responses is mandatory.
  • Options
    ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
    So the users, when they reply, can attach it to the answering mail.
    Attaching original mail in responses is mandatory.
    Ah, ok, yeah when we over refer to email then we refer to the adres primary, so I thought your were talking about the adres and not about the entire e-mail.

Storing into a blob is the only way to store it, but I haven't used blob data type at all.
  • Options
    May be my answer was not accurate: I wish to store the whole mail (not just the senders address). The reply email would be generated by navision (when demanded by a user) attaching the whole incoming (and stored in sql server) mail.
    I know there could be many workarrounds, but my question is about security for the server: the entire incoming mail will be stored in a blob field of sql server. How is risk-level of having a malware activating this email inside the server?