Options

Navision Application Backup V.S SQL Backup

danldanl Member Posts: 25
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the major differences between Navision Application backup (build-in backup tool in Navision) v.s SQL backup?

I noticed when I used SQL backup to restore and backup, it is much faster but is there any disadvantages?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    When you make a backup using a Navision client (or using the hotcopy.exe program on the server), Navision checks the database for errors. Backups made with SQL, don't perform this check.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    But you can do MS SQL backup when users are working, but in many cases you are not abe to do Navision backup because deadlocks etc...

MS SQL backup include indexes, Navision backup includes only data - it is why the difference between restore time...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Also, if you are on SQL and you are using the transaction log, you have to purge it periodically, so you're going to have to do both SQL and Navision backups.

Assuming you have a high transaction volume, you could think about doing a SQL backup twive or thee times a day and a Navision backup once a day. That way you're covered both ways. If your system crashes at 11.45 you can go back with the trans log to 11.44, but if that fails you always have your second line Navision backup to restore from.