log file backup

Horse06Horse06 Member Posts: 496
edited 2012-03-07 in SQL Tips & Tricks
Hi expert, is there any way to schedule the automatic back up for the log file from the SQL server enterprise manager? Please adivse! Appreciate it!

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yes there is, and it's all available within SQL Server Management Studio. To read how to do it, open Books Online. Click Start, All Programs, SQL Server, Documentation and Tutorials, and select Books Online. Type 'backup' into the search box and see what comes up. There are tons of articles in there that explain everything you ever need to know about how to set up the right recovery model and how to create a backup plan that makes sense to your organization.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    SQL Server Enterprise Manager?
    You are still on SQL 2000?
    You'd better upgrade to SQL 2008R2.

A remarks: You can also use SQL Server Management Studio with SQL 2000.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
    Sorry for the late post here but I don't think SQL Server Enterprise Manager is still SQL Server 2000.

If I'm not mistaken that's the name of the rdbms gui system for SQL Server
    Resender wrote:
    Sorry for the late post here but I don't think SQL Server Enterprise Manager is still SQL Server 2000.

If I'm not mistaken that's the name of the rdbms gui system for SQL Server
    Starting from SQL 2005, SQL Server Enterprise Manager is not used any more. It has been replaces with SQL Server Management Studio.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

Ok, yeah should have known that myself, but due to a current assignment I haven't seen SQL Server in 6 months now
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Then why are you searching for all these old posts? Leave them...
    Cause I've been pressed into Navision and I have no idea for how long so found it best to start looking for answers to questions that I expect to get in the future.
    Resender wrote:
    Cause I've been pressed into Navision and I have no idea for how long so found it best to start looking for answers to questions that I expect to get in the future.
    I think the best is to start reading blogs (start with the blog section and in there you will find links to even more blogs). When you have some real problem, search the forum.
    When I started with SQL server I made the error to start reading some forums of SQL server and got overwhelmed even if I started searching for certain topics I wanted to know more about. So I started reading blogs.

Even just checking the blogs was already overwhelming but if there was a topic I wanted to know something about, I learned something useful. The topics where not always so useful (Actually very few were).
    The reason is, I think, that blogs are written by persons that know about what they are writing and have been thinking about it. The forum topics are started by users that have a question, others that ask more questions about the questions and in the end (if you are lucky), you just have the answer about 1 very specific problem.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

OK, had bad experience last year when we we're tasked with moving an Oracle db to SQL Server, we/I had a lot of errors which we're caused by lack of information on the clients part.
    After months of me searching we came to a point where we realised the copy of the datbase given had been corrupted on creation and unusable.