Options

RTC: Search and Filter

stonystony Member Posts: 122
edited 2012-01-20 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

Has the RTC the function for searching after typing. Say I find myself in the articles list and the field Descprition" is selected and start typing. The search window will be open and begin to look at the input in CC. But in RTC I can´t find this function.

Filters: In the page (articles-list) the field "Search Description" is selected. If you now press F7 then the system filtered on this. After you select the field "Description" and then press F7 again. Now on both fields will be filtered.
It relatively quickly.
How can I do this in the RTC.
Although I know the advanced filter, but it's much laborious.

stony

Comments

• Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    stony wrote:
    Has the RTC the function for searching after typing. Say I find myself in the articles list and the field Descprition" is selected and start typing. The search window will be open and begin to look at the input in CC. But in RTC I can´t find this function.

No, find as you type / search like that is not available in the RTC. You have to filter.
    stony wrote:
    Filters: In the page (articles-list) the field "Search Description" is selected. If you now press F7 then the system filtered on this. After you select the field "Description" and then press F7 again. Now on both fields will be filtered.
    It relatively quickly.
    How can I do this in the RTC.
    Although I know the advanced filter, but it's much laborious.

Try right clicking the value and selecting "Filter to this Value".
  • Options
    "Filter to this Value" is fine for the first filter section. But in CC could then be put into another box and press F7 again. Thus was filtered on both fields.
    How can I do this in the RTC. OK with the advanced filter, but these are not faster than in the CC. You must Click,Click ...
  • Options
    Troubles_In_ParadiseTroubles_In_Paradise Member Posts: 588
    stony wrote:
    How can I do this in the RTC. OK with the advanced filter, but these are not faster than in the CC. You must Click,Click ...
    No other way I think... Maybe not as fast as CC but it's nice that filters you have added remeain visible on top of the page.
    ~Rik~
    It works as expected... More or Less...
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    stony wrote:
    OK with the advanced filter, but these are not faster than in the CC. You must Click,Click ...

I agree. You're trading a couple of clicks for increased visibility.

Also, remember, it's probably just not faster for YOU. Most people don't remember keyboard shortcuts. They click a button, or they click a Menu and then an option. I'd wager that F7 means nothing to 90% of NAV users.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    matttrax wrote:
    Most people don't remember keyboard shortcuts. They click a button, or they click a Menu and then an option. I'd wager that F7 means nothing to 90% of NAV users.

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. All power users I know use only keyboard with short cuts and hot keys.

And I will challenge anyone to show me they can Navigate faster with a mouse than a keyboard when seriously using Navision.

If you start with two brand new users in Navision, one mouse user and one keyboard user, then after two days the mouse user will be way ahead of the keyboard user in productivity, at the end of a week the keyboard user will catch up and in two weeks time the keyboard user will be way ahead of the mouse user and the mouse user will never catch up.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    On the other hand, have you tried using facebook using only a keyboard? Or using a cloud product like Gmail?

In the end, most application will be cloud based. I don't think there's any one sane person that will use a web browser using a keyboard.
  • Options
    jglathejglathe Member Posts: 639
    If you start with two brand new users in Navision, one mouse user and one keyboard user, then after two days the mouse user will be way ahead of the keyboard user in productivity, at the end of a week the keyboard user will catch up and in two weeks time the keyboard user will be way ahead of the mouse user and the mouse user will never catch up.

I second this. Using shortcuts seems to use a faster part of the brain, I guess :mrgreen: like walking. Once you learn it, you don't think about it, only about where to walk to. Which reminds me of the pains when I have to use RTC... or (far worse) RDLC.

with best regards

Jens
  • Options
    Our users do not work with facebook, etc., but must use an ERP system. And that should be efficient. Therefore, it is not possible to understand why such features are removed.
    Could this be done with an add-in solution? :-k
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    stony wrote:
    Our users do not work with facebook, etc., but must use an ERP system. And that should be efficient. Therefore, it is not possible to understand why such features are removed.
    It might be hard to understand, but the choice for the RTC is userexperience. Powerusers are f*cked while new users will have an easier experience getting to know NAV.
    This will invite even larger idiots working in NAV, and pebkac problems will be l
    Now with the lack of speed are other options more interesting, mainly automation of everything.
    From EDI for daily orders/invoices/payments/... to receiving values from production machines.
    Almost everything can be automated. Ofcourse a huge task for developers, but a lot of business opportunities.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|