Options

SQL 2008 Runtime Installation

NAVFuchsNAVFuchs Member Posts: 76
edited 2011-11-07 in NAV Three Tier
I have customer that wants to buy a NAV SQL-Runtime Licence instead of a SQL-Server/CAL Licence.

Following Questions occur:

- Do I still need the SQL-Server Licence or does the NAV Runtime Licence include this.
- Can I access via Management Studio to install and setup Database and User-Acess
- Which CD is necessary to Install SQL-Server using runtime licences and is a Install Key necessary then?

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    NAVFuchs wrote:
    I have customer that wants to buy a NAV SQL-Runtime Licence instead of a SQL-Server/CAL Licence.

Following Questions occur:

- Do I still need the SQL-Server Licence or does the NAV Runtime Licence include this.
    - Can I access via Management Studio to install and setup Database and User-Acess
    - Which CD is necessary to Install SQL-Server using runtime licences and is a Install Key necessary then?

Hi NAVFuchs,

before going down this path, investigate it thoroughly. The licensing rules are quite complex, and worse they change from version to version. Either way in most cases that I have seen it generally saves a few bucks at install time, but ends out being more expensive as time goes by.

In one version it only allowed 32 bit, which you wouldn't want; you may not be able to run anything except Navision on that server; it may be difficult to upgrade.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I never recommend any NAV users to buy the SQL Server runtime edition. In almost all cases, it's more expense (total cost of ownership) than if you just bought SQL Server outright.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    See my posting in this thread: http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=43353&hilit=runtime+SQL

Remember that the runtime price is per named user.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.