Options

Multiple NAV servers with different country versions

gorgavelgorgavel Member Posts: 15
edited 2011-10-04 in NAV Three Tier
We are going to install 4 different country versions for a customer on a server.
Then we will set up 4 NAV servers and 4 databases.
Is that possible? How?
I have read about setting up multiple NAV Servers and that is not the problem.
But is it possible to install 4 different country versions on a server?

Answers

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yes, it is possible, I have at least 4 countries installed on my laptop.

But beware of the collation issues. You might run into conflicts when the server is for example Latin1 and the countries have different collations. Still this is no problem for SQL Server, but the server will have to do collaction changes, especially in TempDB.
  • Options
    Thanks for Your answer.
    (just what I wanted to hear!)
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    And don't forget that each country has its own license. So they all need the granule "license per database" otherwise only 1 license is loaded for all the databases in the server. And county X cannot access objects belonging to country Y.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    kriki wrote:
    And don't forget that each country has its own license. So they all need the granule "license per database" otherwise only 1 license is loaded for all the databases in the server. And county X cannot access objects belonging to country Y.

For license reasons and if all companies are in the same database you must be right. But in the described situation with seperate database en per database a different license, do you still need that granule?
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    No, the other way around.

Normally the license file is stored in the master database (AFAIK). With the granule kriki mentioned you can store the license file in the NAV database and thus have multiple countries on one server
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Just making sure we're getting this right:
    Each SERVER can have one or more DATABASES. BY DEFAULT, for the SQL Server option, NAV licenses are loaded PER SERVER, and apply to all NAV databases on that server. On SQL Server, BY DEFAULT, the license file is stored in the Master database, in the "$ndo$srvproperty" table to be exact. All users in all NAV databases count toward the licensed number of users. So if you have two databases, with 10 users each, you will need to have a license for 20 users total.

It is possible to store NAV license inside the database, but you MUST have the granule in your license. If you need multiple localizations in separate databases, on the same server, you will have to purchase that granule in each license. If you have say a Dutch database with 10 users and a German database with 10 users, you will need a Dutch localized license for 10, and also a German localized license with 10 users, both with the "License Per Database" granule.

Each DATABASE can have one or more COMPANIES. Regardless of where the license is stored, ALL companies in each individual database will share the same objects, and the same license.
  • Options
    mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    Thank you for this explanation. The microsoft support had problems making this clear to me but now I understand. (I guess I understand :) )
  • Options
    SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    An ERD usually makes it easier to understand.
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    :mrgreen:
    And 'Database' is the alternate license location, but that can only happen if you have that granule.
  • Options
    Yes, it is possible, I have at least 4 countries installed on my laptop.

But beware of the collation issues. You might run into conflicts when the server is for example Latin1 and the countries have different collations. Still this is no problem for SQL Server, but the server will have to do collaction changes, especially in TempDB.

I am installion an a new server.
    I have installed the swedish version.
    I have stopped the service NAV Server
    I have renamned the program catalog .../Microsoft Dynamics NAV SE/ to ... /Microsoft Dynamics NAV SVE/
    Then I start the Norweigan installation BUT it goes into program cataloge /Microsoft Dynamics NAV SE/ and I cant change it. (The norweigan program tells me that it is already installed! There is no chice for new version)

What do I have to do to install the Norweigan version?

I think I found it out.
    - Stop the service
    - Rename Program cataloge
    - Uninstall program Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    - Create New Service
    Then start again with next country version!

/Göran