Options

Sort Item No on Order

yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
edited 2011-08-11 in Navision Attain
Navision 3.10

When entering an order I enter my items. I can go to VIEW, then SORT and I can sort by "No." field.

When you exit out of the order and back in, though, it's back to the way I entered it.

Is there a way I can make this sort stay? Or maybe I can keep the original sort button, but somehow make a new one for my purpose? .. maybe this is too complicated a thing to try or maybe I don't have access to do so.. not sure at this point.

I'll tell you my issue. For international customers we physically write on the invoice "100% Cotton, Made In India", etc. We write this for every item.

Our Item Numbers in Navision dictate what the item is and what it is made out of.. so it would be nice to be able to sort items so they appear together on screen, and also when I print out my Sales Order and Invoices.

For example, Item 1160-2241 let's me know it's a dress made out of fabric cotton. Same thing for 1165-2220. It would be dress cotton as well. The first two digits of our item number designate this. If it had began with 12 it would be considered dress made in fabric rayon.

So, when a customer gives us an order from a show it's hand written and random order. WOuld be nice to group those together so when we do write stuff like "100% cotton, made in india" on the invoice/packing list we can lessen our work.

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Now this would be a sort you would change after the order was entered.
    Because your sales line is sorting by "Document No., Line No." by default.

If you had it set to Document No., Item No. I would probably jump around the screen.

We've added some new key on our Sales Line Table (at the end)
    [Document Type, Document No, Description, Description 2 ]
    So we can sort by description
    [Document Type, Shelf/Bin No., No.]
    So we can sort by location & item #
    We can also use that key on our picking ticket so the items appear in picking sequence order.

On the Sales Invoice Live table we've also added
    [Document Type, Document No, Description, Description 2 ]
    So our Invoices sort in Alphabetical Order.

That's done on the 1st SalesInvLineDesc view properites
    & on the DataItemTableView Property Your would set your default sort
    SORTING(Document No,Description, Description 2) ORDER(Ascending) in my case.

What have you tried?
    The first two digits of our item number designate this.
    We tried having Item Numbers mean something long ago with our old ERP Macola
    when we switched to Nav we went regular numbers that have no meaning :thumbsup:
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    This type of thing I'd probably do in the report. I would probably not make any changes to the sort order for data entry, because sooner or later you'll run into line number errors.
  • Options
    Exactly, we added the keys to sort the reports.

It was seen to be semi -useful after orders were completed and the corrected picking ticket came back from the warehouse. Some felt it was easier to find the items they needed to correct by sorting it by description.
    I mentioned it was more work than clicking the magnifing glass(Find) which is pretty easy.
  • Options
    Understood why you want to do it after. Because while I am entering orders it would be wanting to sort.

I'll have to fool with it on Monday (when people go to lunch) as there's a few people in the office working and adding a key to a table takes time and freezes the system.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey! I have a problem on my machine only.

Remember earlier I was saying a key takes awhile to make? I had went into and started making a key, but I hit cancel before it finished and I did not compile.

Now when I try to print a Packing List it prints out weird. Sales Invoice prints fine.

For example item 1450-1107.. customer ordered Pink 6 pieces.. it's showing EVERY color in that item on my packing list! The customer did not order Black, White, Turq, or Lime! But it shows it just with 0 quantity.
  • Options
    you need to compile - it's probably your machine only becuase the others haven't loged out yet so they still are using the old object. if not compiled then next time they logout & login they should have the same problem.

sales line key shouldn't take too long - depends on your server.

I can see the sales invoice line taking a while, if you're able to add one to that table since it's usually a protected table.
  • Options
    Well, here we are after the weekend. I verified that someone else's machine prints Packing List fine, so I'm not sure what's up with my machine only.

I went into the the report and verified that the key I was going to enter and canceled is not there.
  • Options
    Solved. Deleted my ZUP file. Worked.