Virtual printer table - printer selection

hairamhairam Member Posts: 27
Hi

I am having quite a bit of problems with the virtual printer table. First some technical data.
Windows 2008 R2 server.
Terminal Services
Navision 2009 Classic (also tried with service pack 2, with no luck) Also tried https://mbs2.microsoft.com/Knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2274603
Simplified printing (emulates printer drivers and calls them Username:printername¤session number)
When users log on the server the printers are created and assigned a session number. i.e hairam:HP laserjet 4¤12

So the problem is this. The printer table is not cleaned when the users log on so they will get a list like this.
hairam:HP laserjet 4¤9
hairam:HP laserjet 4¤11
hairam:HP laserjet 4¤15
Only one of these printers can actually be printed to and are shown by windows itself.
Though I have read that this table is created when a user starts the classic client that is actually not true.
The virtual table is actually a set of values in the registry, they are not created at the start of the classic client.
If you delete the values in the registry the virtual table will be empty but will be recreated once the user logs onto the terminal services.

How do I clean up this virtual table, any good ideas, anyone had any similar problems?

A side issue I have is the fact that all users can see each others printers? Any good ideas for that issue?

Answers

• FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    This was a known issue at least in 2009 SP1.
    Check out this page: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2011/06/07/platform-updates-overview-3-70-b-nav2009-r2-updated-2.aspx
    Search for this String: 2318337
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • hairamhairam Member Posts: 27
    If others have this problem here is a way to solve it.

It is possible to clean up the registery via, group policies.
    under the GPO -> User Configuration -> Preferences -> Registry -> Add a replace Entry for the following Entry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices\

And another Replace Entry for
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

It is a good idea to create a target (item-Level Tarteting) it to a Windows Group so that it is possible to only set it to a single user for test purposes