Options

Service layer needs waking up

Toddy_BoyToddy_Boy Member Posts: 231
edited 2011-07-05 in NAV Three Tier
This is a little strange behaviour I've not encountered before on 3 tier architecture.

I have a website site that calls web services published from Navision, however on occassion the website returns an error, 'Cannot log into SQL Server' when calling a web service after a long period without use. This is resolved by RDPing to the Nav Services machine, open a browser and call the web services i.e http://localhost:7047/DynamicsNav/WS/co ... e/Services

Once the published services are displayed the website performs perfectly, it's as if the service layer falls asleep and needs prompting to wake up.

Any ideas would be welcome?

Steve
Life is for enjoying ... if you find yourself frowning you're doing something wrong

Comments

• Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    I remember I once read an MS article that stated such web services behavior as standard, some whitepaper for NAV2009...
  • Options
    I've heard some crazy things in my time .... but if that's the case it's right up there!! #-o
    Life is for enjoying ... if you find yourself frowning you're doing something wrong
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    On IIS you can set after which idle time the application workers are recycled. I think that default is 20 minutes. You can change that. Question is, if the problems is the web app or the NAV services and how to set this on the NAV WS...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    livingdolllivingdoll Member Posts: 45
    Toddy Boy wrote:
    This is a little strange behaviour I've not encountered before on 3 tier architecture.

I have a website site that calls web services published from Navision, however on occassion the website returns an error, 'Cannot log into SQL Server' when calling a web service after a long period without use. This is resolved by RDPing to the Nav Services machine, open a browser and call the web services i.e http://localhost:7047/DynamicsNav/WS/co ... e/Services

Once the published services are displayed the website performs perfectly, it's as if the service layer falls asleep and needs prompting to wake up.

Any ideas would be welcome?

Steve

I have a similar problem. The 'loss' of visibility of the webservices occurs when there was an error in the webservice. The user - calling the services from outside our domain - receives a NAV error message, and from that moment the services are not accessible from that client anymore. From a client in our own domain there's no problem: the service is still running fine & is reachable. After a few minutes, the services are addressable again for the user outside the domain, without any action on our behalf. It seems to be some kind of a time-out?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Regards
    Greys
  • Options
    Hi livingdoll

That is another exact scenario I am encountering #-o

Are you aware of anything that can be tinkered with to resolve this? I've written a few websites that operate this way and have never encountered this behaviour.

Steve