Options

Issue of users being assigned the same sales order number

Tan_Eng_SiongTan_Eng_Siong Member Posts: 84
Hi

I am working on Navision Version 4.0. I noticed that there are cases where the users are able to create the same new sales order number at the same time. This is not a fatal situation but it is very upsetting to the users. I like to know if there is any way to bypass this issue.

Thanks [-o<
Tan Eng Siong

Comments

• Options
    Tim81Tim81 Member Posts: 68
    Hi,

can you explain the cases where this happens?

You mean that two users at different workstations creating a new sales order and navision gives them the same number??
  • Options
    I just know one case where problems with the No. Series occur.

1.) Open "Customer Card" and choose a customer with an exceedance credit limit
    2.) Click on "Sales > Orders"
    3.) Click on the AssistEdit in Field "No." and then click "OK"
    4.) Press "Enter"
    5.) A long error message appears: "Form.RunModal() is not allowed in write transactions"
    6.) In the field "No." appears a new number from the series, but the series is not updated.
    7.) You cannot create a new order except you have allowed to set the number manually.

To fix it:
    Put a COMMIT after "NoSeriesMgt.SetSeries("No.");".
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    that's a really bad fix. What happends when you import a batch of lets say 5 Sales Orders and there is an error on 3rd one? not everything is rolled back.
    You shouldn't use commits unless you know what you are doing. I would prevend the user from creating orders from customer card.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Tan_Eng_SiongTan_Eng_Siong Member Posts: 84
    Hi everyone

Thanks for the replies. Let me give the full example. There are about about five users whose main task is solely to key in sales orders. What happens is that there are cases when two users finish keying in the sales order at the same time. They then press F3 and start keying in a new sales orders. Usually they have no problem with this procedure unless the both users end with the same sales order number. Then one user will find that she cannot continue with keying in the sale order.

I will try out the commit solution first.

Thanks
    Tan Eng Siong
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    that's a really bad fix. What happends when you import a batch of lets say 5 Sales Orders and there is an error on 3rd one? not everything is rolled back.
    You shouldn't use commits unless you know what you are doing. I would prevend the user from creating orders from customer card.
    What import do you mean? Do you think of a standard function in navision? Which do you mean?

The next question is: if I put a COMMIT in the AssistEdit-function... do you think it could affect a batch-import?? Do you use the AssistEdit-function if you import anything? Are you serious?

So don't tell me that I not know what I do. It is absolutely trouble-free to insert this COMMIT. The COMMIT is just done, if you click on the AssistEdit button, what is rarely done in most companies as it makes only sense if you use more than one number series.

I know that unaware users just get taught: "Don't use commits, its dangerous!" And they are right. But sometimes commits are needed, thats the reason why this function exists. So where is the problem? Please explain!

You "would prevend the user from creating orders from customer card"?? What a pro solution. Best you use the MESSAGE-function to inform all users about that.

A piece of advice from me to you: Don't post anything in this forum unless you know something about the issue.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    My my... :shock:

Guys... could we keep things civil here? Could we please refrain from saying things like 'that is a really bad fix', and 'advice from me to you', and focus on trying to solve these issues?
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    What happens is that there are cases when two users finish keying in the sales order at the same time. They then press F3 and start keying in a new sales orders.

at the exact split second they both press F3? sound pretty difficult to achieve.

are you sure they are using F3 and not the NEXT Arrow?