Options

Auto-import a fob with SQL

ClaudeClaude Member Posts: 4
edited 2011-04-11 in SQL General
Hello,

This is my first post here.

Here is our problem :
We have several salespersons (30 and going up) with a Navision Database, so this is 30 databases to maintain.
The problem is that deployment of new objects on their databases using the tool recObject."BLOB Reference".EXPORT generates files which are too big (4 times bigger than a fob file, 50+ mb), and thus these files cannot be downloaded by the salespersons because of their bad 3G internet connection.

We intend to migrate to SQL, will this bring us a possibility to make these deployments more easily ? If so, how can it be done ?

In short, is this possible to auto-import a fob file in Navision with SQL.

Thank you.

Claude DELILLE

Answers

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Did you try to 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) those files? They get a lot less than.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

The size-related gain with 7-zip compared to the compressor we were using is indeed very interesting (from 50+ MB to 4MB).
    It seems that this may be a solution to our problem.

However we can't find the 7-zip ocx in order to pilot 7-zip within Navision. Do you know if the ocx exist and where to find it ?

Thanks again.

Claude DELILLE
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Forget OCX. It is old and outdated.

I searched for an automation,but I don't find it.

But you don't need an automation. You can use 7-zip from the commandprompt. Run 7z.exe and the help to see the parameters you can use. I have done this and it works just fine.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Thank you for your time Kriki.

We made it with the 7-Zip command-line executable as you suggested and it works great !

Claude DELILLE