Options

Render a .NET control in a NAV 2009 R2 Page ?

ChemanelChemanel Member Posts: 15
edited 2011-01-24 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

With the release of NAV 2009 R2 and his interop with .NET, i was asking myself if we could render some .NET controls directly in a page (for the role center for example)(using c# chart objects could be nice, or objects for image generation, or maybe forms, etc..).

I've made some tests, and nothing concluent by now...

Does someone got some informations?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You need to use the addin functionality. You can check my Universal WPF addin allowing you to add WPF components on the page dynamically (with some limitations). http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1195
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    ChemanelChemanel Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your reply..

I've seen your addin before, and i've take a look at it some weeks ago..

It's a very good exemple, but the thing i don't like with addins, it's that we must manually intall them on all the clients.

I was thinking, now that we can use all the .net classes, directly in C/AL code, that maybe, with something like calling a Render() method, it was possible to render a .NET control directly from the .NET Classes..

Do you see what i mean? i've made some test but i find nothing for now...
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, I know, but even than I will not go this way for customer. It is not supported and the way could break very easilly...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Christian_AbelnChristian_Abeln Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 42
    Hi Chemanel,

looks like you want to circumvent the missing the auto distribution feature by providing custom rendering through .Net / an image.
    I cannot see how that would help. If you render the UI image with a client side .Net component, you need to distribute this. XAML file alone from the server is not really sufficient for an interactive control. And rendering of the UI server side would put a lot of stress on the server that does not belog there, and network latency is rather hindering in rendering situations too.

Have you tried the prototype for On-the fly distribution of client side components on Freddy's Blog?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/freddyk/archive ... nents.aspx
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Christian Abeln
    Program Manager Microsoft
    Dynamics NAV

blogs.msdn.com/cabeln/