Sales Comment Line - Print on Quote

rico1931rico1931 Member Posts: 295
edited 2011-01-03 in NAV Three Tier
So I'm wondering if this makes sense to anyone or if someone can, please clarify my thinking of how NAV works.

There is a table ID#44 called Sales Comment Line which holds all the comments for a specific report (i.e Quotes, invoices, confirmations, etc) and withing this table there are fields that you can check on/off that are called "Print On Quote", "Print On Pick", "Print On Order Confirmation" etc. Now when I check off the comments I would like to see printed they don't print.

I understand there is some coding that will be involved if I wanted to see them but why would they make a check box to see them printed on the reports? This makes no sense and also very false leading. It's not till I read the help file for the Sales COmment Line table and the last sentence is "The comments will not be printed." that it hit me and I thought "oh so even if I do check these off they wont show up on the report unless I but code into my report the same way I got item Pictures in my previous post ( viewtopic.php?f=32&t=45012)

Sorry for the rant but I just thought that I may be wrong and wanted to ask more knowledgeable people if they knew a much more simpler way then going back and adding code to the report and making new variables in the C/AL Globals

Thank you
-rico1931

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Your a little all over the place..
    I would like to see printed they don't print.
    So, What are you wanting to do?
  • rico1931rico1931 Member Posts: 295
    Savatage wrote:
    Your a little all over the place..
    I would like to see printed they don't print.
    So, What are you wanting to do?

Sorry Savatage

What I want to do is print the comment on my Sales Quote.
    -rico1931
    and what I mean by comment is the comment on the quote that is related to the specific Sales Quote and specific Line Item Number. So for example. I have Quote # 10001 that has 8 Line Items (Products being quoted) and each one has a special comment associated with each one. I want to be able to print the comments on the quotes.

Hopefully that clears it up some.
    -rico1931
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Are you doing it right? Because it does exactly what you want out of the box. I think you are doing something wrong. Which report are you running.
    David Singleton
    exactly! the check box "print on quote" should do exactly that. unless you've modified the report?

we've modified our report to have the comments print right after the header nstead of then end with this:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27443

see page two - i've altered it to fit this guy's question about po's but we really only need it on SO's - I'm speaking about the array post.
    Savatage wrote:
    exactly! the check box "print on quote" should do exactly that. unless you've modified the report?

we've modified our report to have the comments print right after the header nstead of then end with this:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27443

see page two - i've altered it to fit this guy's question about po's but we really only need it on SO's - I'm speaking about the array post.

Sorry I've been out of the office for so long! but to answer your question,

Yes we have altered out report and i'm trying to make the report print a little sales comment box for each individual ourchased item. So lets say someone purchases a pen and the sales person wants to comment on the sales line for the pen with a message "I've included a free Pen holder with this purchase" I want it to show up on the same line underneath the description. I'm working off report Number 204 - Sales Quote .

What you wrote in the previous post was to display it before all the purchased items.. here I want to link the comment for that specific Item ( So Item #1 will have all comments associated with that specific transaction)

So to try to make it clearer.. Quote number 1000 - Item #1 has 3 comments all from different days. I want to display all 3 comments for Item #1 associated to quote number 1000 on the same line as the Description for that Item.

I hope that helps and sorry for the late response .. family crisis
    -rico1931
    So I think I'm close.. here is what I have done so far ...the variable "dm_SalesCommentLine" is declared in Globals as a Record to the table Sales Comment Line
    IF SalesLine.Type=SalesLine.Type::Item
    THEN
      BEGIN
      IF dm_SalesCommentLine > '' THEN BEGIN

dm_SalesCommentLine.SETRANGE("Document Line No.","SalesLine"."Line No.");
       dm_SalesCommentLine.FINDFIRST ;
       dm_SalesCommentLine."Document Line No." := SalesLine."Line No." ;
      END

But this only returns the first Line No. comment (i.e Line 1 = comment on Line 1, but then Line 2 = Comment on Line 1) So the curser doesn't move and i suspect it is because FINDFIRST . I'm just not sure how to move the courser after the first line is printed... anyone have any suggestions for me?
    -rico1931
    So all your comments for sales lines are in the comment tableand now you want to somewhow match them up?

Have you thought about on the next line of the item, change the "type" to blank and enter your comments in the description field under the item?
    Savatage wrote:
    So all your comments for sales lines are in the comment tableand now you want to somewhow match them up?

Have you thought about on the next line of the item, change the "type" to blank and enter your comments in the description field under the item?

Hi Savatage,

I have done that but you are only allowed about 30 characters per line which sometimes isn't enough..

But I have explored another way:
    1) go into classic client - open Object Designer and Design
    2) enter an indented DataItem under Sales Line (Parent), linked to table "Sales Comment Line"(Child) Named <Sales Comment Line>
    3) click on Properties for the DataItem and under DataItemLink I had the following
    Document Type (Sales Comment Line Table) --> Document Type (Sales Line Table)
    No. --> Document No.
    Document Line No. --> Line No. **EDIT:: changed Line No to Document Line No. **
    4) IDKK?!?!?!?!?!? Here is where I get stuck.. I go into Sections and insert the field then when I run the report in RTC all I see if the first Line and nothing else.. Question is am I suppose to add any other code in the C/AL editor in classic to make this return all comments? any advice would be great-full ... thanks!
    -rico1931
    rico1931 wrote:
    Savatage wrote:

Hi Savatage,
    I have done that but you are only allowed about 30 characters per line which sometimes isn't enough..

Then I would add "Description 2" to your form if it's not there, which will extend the amount of characters you can enter per line.

With a good use of the Nextcontrol, Autoenter=yes & Maxlength=30 properties, you can set it up to Auto Jump from Description 1 to Description 2 once description 1 is full. And incase that still isn't enough space you can always just add another comment line below the first comment line.
    Are you doing it right? Because it does exactly what you want out of the box. I think you are doing something wrong. Which report are you running.

So I finally found it.. Report 10076 is the report with Sales Quotes to it.. NOT report 204
    -rico1931